I Smoked Today, But...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

homebrew & bbq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
NE Nebraska
Today I smoked 3 racks of ribs, 10 pork chops, 25 or 30 jalapenos converted into [font=verdana,Sans-Serif]ABTs[/font] and 4 pounds of breakfast sausage wrapped in bacon and rolled in brown sugar, but you've all seen pictures of those things before, so I thought I'd show you what was happening practically in my front yard.

My neighbor is into antique engines and machinery and today he used the parking lot between our houses for a group of exhibitors. I warned him that I would be smoking most of the day, but I promised to make sure the folks displaying their collections would get samples so they wouldn't just be tempted by the smell.
wink.gif

I thought you might like to see some of what was on display.

Here is a motorized ice cream freezer. Some folks from our church were manning the ice cream truck and I think they sold about 15 gallons.
s7300181tx7.jpg

This engine is running an old turning lathe.
s7300184ei7.jpg

And this one is running a gizmo for sharpening discs (the agricultural type).
smiley.gif

s7300187kx5.jpg

Here's one hooked up to a blower for a forge.
s7300188nx1.jpg

This is an old washing machine. It has to upside-down metal bowls (the best I can do for a description) that "stomp" up and down in the tub.
s7300189tc0.jpg

These next two pictures are an engine (first picture) and the machine it is powering (2nd picture). The machine weaves shoestrings OR the old style single strand electrical wire with its cloth covering. The guy who owns this setup told me he has seven of these braiding machines. This one has 16 spools.
s7300190ld1.jpg

s7300191so1.jpg

Here are some additional engines that were just running without anything hooked up to them.
s7300182ml9.jpg

s7300183bz5.jpg

s7300185st4.jpg

s7300186wx4.jpg

s7300193vb2.jpg

And from what I was told, this tractor is THE cream of this exhibition. According to a couple of the other exhibitors, a similar tractor recently sold for $100,000+.
shocked.gif

s7300194qf6.jpg

HB & BBQ,
Great pics!
I have to show these to the other half. (He's out chopping up trees- Hmm, need to know how to tell what kinda wood. These were live, but mostly saplings. Some might be hickory or Chestnut)

The other half has patents on stuff for machine tools, has worked with robotics (And done international competition) but nothing beats the ingenuity of those who came before us.

There's a nifty machine tool museum just up the road from us in Southern Vermont (We live in CT) Side of the road, most people would just drive right on by, Amazing what people made use of and the inventiveness they had.

Thanks for the shots!

Karie

P.S. How was the Q?

To tell you the truth, out of a day-long smoke with the MES full all day I only had one pork chop and about 3 ABTs, but they were tasty.
biggrin.gif

The three racks of ribs were thank you gifts for the guys that cleared the snow out of our church parking lot all winter (and it was a VERY snowy winter here). Most of the ABTs and bacon wrapped sausages went to the machinery exhibitors. They also got the trimmings from the ribs.

It was kind of funny... on about my 3rd pass through the exhibitors, one guy finally stopped me and said, "Just who are you anyway??"
biggrin.gif
My neighbor had 2 or 3 folks ask him if he was going to be selling his house soon so they could move in next door.

So I will take those comments as good reviews on the Q.

About the time the day was wrapping up, my daughter was leaving to work an evening shift at the local care center. She asked if I could bring the leftovers up for her and her co-workers.

I did manage to put some pork chops in the freezer for a meal or two down the road.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky