I ruined, then we rescued some smoked wings.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hagcel

Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
My goal was smoked wings, collard greens and baked potatoes. The cook required a shift from 350 to 225 then back up to 325. I was smoking on our offset barrel stick burner, and ruined the wings. They were edible, and moist, but so overpowered with smoke flavor it was like sucking on a stove pipe. Hard loss on the base rub winding up too spicy for our 8 year old son, who had loved the same rub on ribs and tri tip in the previous weeks. (Poultry was too delicate)

It was not a bad smoke, it was just over powered.

The recovery:

Smoked Buffalo Chicken Salad Sandwiches
First, I hand stripped all the meat from the bone of half the wings (The super spicy buffalo wings). For 1/2 cup of chicken I used 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and 1 tsp of blue cheese. Form mash and bland with some finely chopped celery. Served on toasted whole grain wheat.

Smoked Chicken and Rice Soup
The wife has mastered "whole bird" cooking. From a roasted hen to bone broth, with a feast, lunch meat, Chicken and Dumplins' then bone broth, she can do amazing things from dead hen to boullon ice cubes.

Tonight, I got home from work, and she had used those over smoked wings, the (best thing of the weekend) collard greens and leftover potatoes to make a chicken and rice soup in the Instant Pot.

WOW. Best broth ever.

Nice recovery on that one! We all have messed something up at one point or another. I made a big pot of chicken noodle soup out of leftover smoked chicken a couple weeks ago and I have to agree some of the best I have ever had broth was out of this world good!

As a Young Chef, I had an Exec, stand behind me and watch me Burn a Dozen and a Half, Expensive Soft Shell Crabs, until he was satisfied I was cooking them to his standard. I make Great Softies now...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky