I can't cook chicken thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Rubbery poultry skin seems to be normal from an electric smoker. So, after smoking, toss them on a hot grill for a couple of minutes or under the broiler. The skin will crisp up.

You nailed it. If you smoke it you can do it low if you want. But I crank the heat up around 350 at least and if any lower I’ll throw the chicken in a hot grill at the end to get the skin nice and crisp. Anything under 350 really you won’t get crispy skin.

Reactions: 912smoker
these days i often skin them and use them for stock, but as said 275*F+ is the way to go. same with drums or leg quarters, too (which IMO can handle even a little hotter)

Yep what they said.
Thighs need 170° internal temperature to cook it out bone in or bone out. Wings need that too.
Backs are best in the pot for boiling into stock

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Low temps don't work for bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, or wings, legs, breasts, or backs. Higher temps are needed to render the fat AND crisp the skin. 350+ works well. I'm usually over 400F on my Kettle when I do any part of a chicken.

This! I run skin on chicken parts at 375-395 for crispy skin goodness. Oh and 180 - 185 IT.

Was feeling a bit under the weather today. Did BI/SO thighs in the oven. 425F. Crispy skin, tender insides. Meat IT at 170-175F. They were still half-frozen when I loaded them in the oven, so they took 70 minutes instead of 45-50.

I'm sure you meant rubbery chicken skin, not the actual thigh meat. I'm not sure how anyone could ever turn a fatty piece of chicken thigh into rubber :P

As the others have pointed out to get crispy skins you need higher temps. If you're interested in bite through skin take a look at how competition chicken thighs are done. Not saying you need to go through the whole fat scraping process, because I enjoy the fat. But the butter process will give you bite through skin that is very flavorful.

Just depends on what you're looking for.

Yep what they said.
Thighs need 170° internal temperature to cook it out bone in or bone out. Wings need that too.
Backs are best in the pot for boiling into stock
See now I prefer grilled backs to breasts, lol, just requires hot/cool zones on whatever grill. Make the best tenders or white meat nugs too, IMO

Reactions: baby kong
350 is what I did these on skin came out great. It was on my new Camp Chef pellet smoker.

Attachments

• 35C6C022-231A-433A-97A1-C203DBE0B4C2.jpeg
    35C6C022-231A-433A-97A1-C203DBE0B4C2.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 24
Yup, electric smokers need a bit of help to get crispy skins. I've used my oven in the past. My next batch will get finished in the Ooni oven. 950 degrees for 1/2 minute should do the trick.

I'm sure you meant rubbery chicken skin, not the actual thigh meat. I'm not sure how anyone could ever turn a fatty piece of chicken thigh into rubber :P
Cooked (no pink), but thigh meat is tough and rubbery to me when cooked to a 160° IT as the breast to rest for the 165°. As many pros stated, thighs need more heat.
I quit whole bird many years ago and went spatchcock. I tent the breast to let the thigh and legs cook out
See now I prefer grilled backs to breasts, lol, just requires hot/cool zones on whatever grill. Make the best tenders or white meat nugs too, IMO
I spatchcock my whole chicken so the back is strictly backbone spine.
I wish I could purchase just chicken spine. Makes the best stock.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky