I bought an Avocado - now what?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
put them in a bag with apples will speed up the ripening, on the other hand if they are ripe and you a few days to consume, put them in the fridge.

Reactions: gmc2003
Here is where I store any of them that make it into the house.

View attachment 676970

Sorry could not help myself. I have tried , I just can't find a liking for them.

David
I find it ok for adding a neutral filler to something.
I've had guacamole homemade in Mexico and it was amazing. I've asked me amigo many times for his wife recipe. I always get I'm still pending on that. LoL

2/buck this week at our regional chain, Food Lion!

I bought 6 Friday, will go back for 6 more Tuesday evening before the sale ends. A good sale for us is .79
6 months ago they were 1.50 each
Another avocado story.

A few years after my mom passed, my sis set my old man up with a lady his age. She had a son who had property in SoCal with 30 avocado trees. He hated the fruit and watering the trees cost a fortune. For a couple years, though, we had our fill of avocados whenever we visited Pop.

Then her son turned the trees over to a group who paid him a nice annual fee to care for and harvest the trees. They group sold the crop and kept the profits. I think of him every time I see "Grown in California" on an avocado sticker and the price is north of $1 each.

This post is so amusing to me. Since I am on the west coast Avocados are something you get on a weekly basis. We regularly get about a half dozen a week and let them ripen.

They can go from hard and not editable to soft and not enjoyable in a heart beat. You have to watch them.

My first choice is to make guacamole. I make a salsa then add in avocado until the proportions are just right.

There are many other options to add them to any other dish, I like to cut them in half, remove the seed, slice each half with a knife then use a large spoon to scoop them out.

Add them to a BTL is the best. or just make a nice salad and add it in.

There are so many options for them it is endless.

You could always make some guacamole.
I know a lot of people really like guac, but I seem to remember trying it once way back when and I don't think I enjoyed it. I may try it again after I experiment with this one. That is if I like them.
Tacos Chris, avocado is perfect for chicken tacos. RAY
Now that sounds like a great idea. It's not ripe yet so I have a couple of days to plan. Thanks Ray.

Appreciate it Stunt.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
If in a hurry, there is a quick and dirty way to make fairly good guacamole--though it is NOT as good as a dedicated guacamole recipe, of which there are many, some on this board.

Simply scoop out the avocado flesh into a bowl, add about 2 tablespoons of whatever commercial salsa you might already have in the fridge, and mash it all up with a fork. The classic dorm-room guacamole made in two minutes!

It's better, and will maintain color longer, if you can add a tablespoon or two of lime juice, and better still if you can chop up some cilantro and maybe jalapeño to mix in, but the basic recipe is quite palatable considering how easy it is.

Also good in a shrimp cocktail.
Thanks Brian. We do a lot of shrimp coctail around here. So that's a possibility.
Well lots of advice here….don’t forget to let us know what you did wit it!

Jim
Will do Jim.
Did the peer pressure people explain what it tastes like and what to expect?

If not let me take a stab at it.

Alone Avocado is not going to wow you. Like if you've never had butter before and you bought some and you cut a slice and ate it, you'd be like "what in the world, what's the hype about?!"

HOWEVER just like butter, once you start doing things with the Avocado you will see it start to show off a little!

Avocado has this subtle rich and creaminess to it... kinda like good butter! It's personal flavor is a little bland on it's own but again like butter, will accentuate a dish and start to show off depending on it's use. It's not the star, its a that supporting actor that helps make the star shine as well as setup all the best parts of the movie :D

For a lot of my life I was not a fan of avocado but that's because people didn't use it properly. Once you get a taste of really good guacamole or have it sliced on some great sushi, or used in other great ways, you can then begin to see the brilliance of Avocado. Otherwise its like "what is the point of this thing?!" when used improperly :)

I hope this helps :)
Oh it helps Tall, and I don't recall anyone mentioning the taste so thanks.
Man. Avocados. I remember when they were 5 to 10 for $1. Guac was common here when they were in season. Now I'm lucky to see 1 for less than a $1. Most times they are $1 to $2.50 each.

I picked up 5 smalls at 78 cents each this last week. Got two left. High in good fat and fiber. They are perfect when there's a very slight softness when gently squeezed. Cut in half. Remove pit. Use a tablespoon at the big end to scoop the meat out in one piece. Slice, season, eat straight or use on salads or tacos.

The two left are going on carnitas tacos here tonight. Meat is thawing as I type.

Ray
Appreciate it Ray, I bought this one for $1.19 and it's hard as a rock. Since there is only two of us. I'm thinking of going with chicken takos as the other Ray mentioned for one half and tasting it straight up for the other.

Chris

Chris

Reactions: tallbm
Sliced with fresh tomato slices on a plate, a little salt and pepper and i like a squeeze of lime but yes those two go very well together. If you like the flavor and texture then the uses are limitless. When they are really ripe and super soft you can just spread them like butter on toasted bread for a base layer of flavor. So good.
That sounds easy enough even for a slouch cooker like me. Thanks Edge.
It does change the profile a bit, maybe do it on your second one.
Appreciate it Cliff and good advice on holding off.
PSA - if anyone has an avocado or 3 that is ripe and ready but you may not want to use it for a couple of days, open it up, scoop it into a vac bag, and vac seal it. It won't brown or lose quality due to removing the air.

I used to do it with just plain ziplocs. Make my guac my favorite way, which is very simple. Avocado, sour cream, FINELY diced red onions, salt and pepper. Pour a little lemon juice into the ziploc and swish it around, transfer your guac to the ziploc, add a little lemon juice on top, and get out as much air as possible. Usually ended up with a very thin layer I'd have to scrape off, but generally lost very little. Vac sealing it lets all the flavors meld - and we all know how much better it is to let about anything stew a day or 2.

There is very little you can't eat with avocado. Steak and avocado, chicken and avocado, pork and avocado, meatloaf and avocado and ad infinitum....

When I was on keto, one of my favorite meals was a ribeye covered in my guac.

Use it on any savory sandwich - slices or mashed up.

Cooking it does change it. I prefer it raw. Cheesecake Factory has these cooked avocado springrolls that are pretty killer.
Thank Hijack. I'm holding off on the guac. Until I figure out if I like them first.
I’ve not done it but I’ve read that if the avocado is hard as a rock with no give on the light squeeze, that you can do a short oven heat and they soften right up.
Appreciate it Edge, I also read that, but I want to let this one ripen naturally.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Here is where I store any of them that make it into the house.

View attachment 676970

Sorry could not help myself. I have tried , I just can't find a liking for them.

David
My initial thought also David, but my mother always made me try things I didn't like twice. So here I am.
This post is so amusing to me. Since I am on the west coast Avocados are something you get on a weekly basis. We regularly get about a half dozen a week and let them ripen.

They can go from hard and not editable to soft and not enjoyable in a heart beat. You have to watch them.

My first choice is to make guacamole. I make a salsa then add in avocado until the proportions are just right.

There are many other options to add them to any other dish, I like to cut them in half, remove the seed, slice each half with a knife then use a large spoon to scoop them out.

Add them to a BTL is the best. or just make a nice salad and add it in.

There are so many options for them it is endless.
Thanks West Coast Chris. They are around here and I'm sure a lot of folks eat them, but they aren't that common at parties/gatherings or restaurant offerings
If you're having doubts as to what should be done with the avocado after all of these suggestions, you could always send it to David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) He loves them and can always find a creative way to use it. Please let us know what you decided to do with it though.

Robert
LOL thanks Robert. I'll airmail what ever I don't eat to DRKsmoking DRKsmoking if I don't like it.
If in a hurry, there is a quick and dirty way to make fairly good guacamole--though it is NOT as good as a dedicated guacamole recipe, of which there are many, some on this board.

Simply scoop out the avocado flesh into a bowl, add about 2 tablespoons of whatever commercial salsa you might already have in the fridge, and mash it all up with a fork. The classic dorm-room guacamole made in two minutes!

It's better, and will maintain color longer, if you can add a tablespoon or two of lime juice, and better still if you can chop up some cilantro and maybe jalapeño to mix in, but the basic recipe is quite palatable considering how easy it is.
Thanks Smoke, I really want to try it it's natural form before playing with different dishes. That said I like the idea of a simple and quick guac.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
put them in a bag with apples will speed up the ripening, on the other hand if they are ripe and you a few days to consume, put them in the fridge.
I would, but I don't have any apples in the house currently.
I find it ok for adding a neutral filler to something.
I've had guacamole homemade in Mexico and it was amazing. I've asked me amigo many times for his wife recipe. I always get I'm still pending on that. LoL
Thanks Jim, If you buddy ever shares make sure to let us all in on the recipe.
Another avocado story.

A few years after my mom passed, my sis set my old man up with a lady his age. She had a son who had property in SoCal with 30 avocado trees. He hated the fruit and watering the trees cost a fortune. For a couple years, though, we had our fill of avocados whenever we visited Pop.

Then her son turned the trees over to a group who paid him a nice annual fee to care for and harvest the trees. They group sold the crop and kept the profits. I think of him every time I see "Grown in California" on an avocado sticker and the price is north of $1 each.
Bummer for your friend Ray. If he still has the land the trees are on maybe he should start cutting them down one at a time until he gets his money.
Chris this one is a easy one….you just sprinkle it with some 556 seasoning while filming……. Lol!
I'm not sure what 556 seasoning is John, but coming from you it's either really good or really bad for you.

Chris

I'm not sure what 556 seasoning is John, but coming from you it's either really good or really bad for you.

Chris
LOL, aka I was referring to making into a "zombie" target, if you add a tomato or two with it then you get red and green confirmation of a hit target.

I can only do avocado on guacamole dip and sushi, any other form its a no go for me.....

My initial thought also David, but my mother always made me try things I didn't like twice. So here I am.

Chris , It is good to try things , and like your mom said, give it a chance.

I have tried a few times , and it is a no for me , I was always told while growing up , eat everything on your plate. And I did , because if not it was there for the next meal until I ate it.

Now that I am over the hill , I am big enough now that I can say no , thank you.

If you guys send my way your extra avocado's. you will see them back soon with an Elvis note on them

" RETURN TO SENDER "

David

I'm not sure what 556 seasoning
Nato version of the domestic 2.43 seasoning . They eat the same .

I was a no go on the guac too . My Sons been making it and it's killer . He does it all in a mortar and pestle . He nagged me until I tried it , it was really good . Probably because it didn't taste like avocado .

I just love haas avocados, the Florida avocados are not as good. My favorite way is to half them, remove the pit, and fill the hole with Kraft tangy bacon Catalina dressing. I could eat those all day long! Might have to refill the hole a couple of times, that dressing is just perfect for avocados.
Al

I just love haas avocados, the Florida avocados are not as good. My favorite way is to half them, remove the pit, and fill the hole with Kraft tangy bacon Catalina dressing. I could eat those all day long! Might have to refill the hole a couple of times, that dressing is just perfect for avocados.
Al
I will have too find that dressing, I like the regular Catalina so bacon can only make it better.

Bummer for your friend Ray. If he still has the land the trees are on maybe he should start cutting them down one at a time until he gets his money.
Oops. My bad, Chris. Poor clarity on my part.

The annual fee the group paid him basically meant they owned the trees for the year, including the harvest. Since he had zero interest in the trees, the fee, which was low 5 figures, was just fun money to him. He was happy not to have the water bill or a thirty-tree orchard full of rotting fruit. Win-win for all involved...except me and my access to free avocados.

Ray

Having some raw on a salad or toast is number 1for you to try. They are magnificent on a nice grilled chicken sandwich or even a chicken salad sandwich.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky