Howdy from Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dee dee dee

Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Hey guys n gals, what's up? Was searching for some smoking tips and found this place... looks like a busy place with plenty of info, glad I found it!

I haven't smoked in about 2 years but I will be smoking tomorrow so I need a refresher course and have already gotten some helpful tips.

Maybe with enough beer they will overlook any mistakes
wink.gif

Welcome to SMF you'll find lots of good info and recipes here. Good luck with that brisket smoke. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome to the smf DDD.

Well done on getting back on the smoking horse. With all the help and info here you'll do just fine

Remember we like pics
biggrin.gif

I'm starting off with a lot of questions, but hopefully I will be able to contribute helpful answers one of these days.

Texas-Hunter, I'm in Rockwall which is about 25 miles east of Dallas; what part of North TX you at?

Welcome to the SMF. Tell us a little about your smoking hardware, what you've smoked, and what you plan to smoke.

Thanks to you guys, my first smoke in years was a success. Their are some things I will probably do different next time. For example, instead of smoking the brisket on the day of the get-together I will cook it on the day before.

The brisket fell apart as I cut it and some suggested that I let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours so it cools down and I could then cut it into slices.

I seared the brisket first on the grill then used hickory the first 2 hours and used pecan for another hour. I then wrapped the 12 pounder in foil and put the fat side up for several hours then flipped it over the remainder of the time.

I'll have to admit I bought KC Masterpiece bbq sauce (please don't throw rocks at me) but hopefully I will find a recipe for some good sauce I can make myself.

I brined the drumsticks in a brine found elsewhere on this site, but then I found out that smoking the drumsticks at a low temperature can make the skin leathery. Instead I just rinsed the brine off and through them on the grill and surprisingly they were pretty good without requiring any other spices.

I also made borracho beans and for those who don't speak spanish "borracho" means "drunk". Their is a can of beer in here, and that is where the borracho comes from. I used jalepeños instead of serrano peppers because they have about 1/3 the Scoville heat units. It was a little spicy but on the mild side so I may throw another jalepeño in there next time: http://www.texasrollingpins.com/borrachobeans.html

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky