Hello from Northern British Columbia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
Thought I would introduce myself to the good folks at Smoking Meats! New to making sausages, but not new to smoking meats in general. I started out with a Bradley smoker and had decent success with it for getting great flavored meats. I used it for quite a few years before my parents received a Traeger pellet grill with the purchase of a car. My parents are seniors and really didn't have much use for it so they gave it to me. I quickly found that there's a pretty big difference between it and the Bradley. The Bradley was quickly relegated to the basement and left untouched for a few years since the Traeger does an absolutely wonderful job with chicken and all other meats for that matter. My wife and I love jerk chicken - though I prefer jerk pork just a bit more.

As great as the Traeger is for hot smoking meats, it isn't able to cold smoke, or have temps run below 170-180F at the lowest. This wasn't a problem before, but now that I've gotten into sausage making, I need to be able to run temps a tad cooler so I don't end up rendering the fat. Hence, the Bradley has been rescued and put to use.

After struggling with the KitchenAid grinder/stuffer attachment I initially purchased, I picked up a Weston 11lb vertical stuffer and a Weston 1/3rd hp Butcher Series #5 Commercial Grade grinder a short while ago. I've watched a ton of YouTube and have a few recipes, but I've also picked up Marianski's book Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages. Wife says it's more of a college textbook than it is anything else largely due to the sheer amount of info in it. She's not completely wrong.

In any event, since picking up the gear, I've made some Jalapeno Chedder Smokies, breakfast sausages, garlic coil, and most recently, Pepperoni with the recipe posted by BGKYSmoker. I know the forum loves pictures, so here's a few:

Jalapeno Cheddar Smokies fresh out of the smoker

20231028_145626.jpg

Hot off the grill and in a bun. Gobs of mustard and piles of onions makes for perfection

20231028_170211.jpg

Money shot of the jalapeno bits and pockets of cheese

20231026_140337.jpg

Garlic coil getting a good smoke in the Bradley

20231115_180510.jpg

Finally here are a few of the Pepperoni sticks I made using BGKYSmoker's recipe.

20231118_173542.jpg

I've got lots of learning to do on all of this, but hopefully the fine folks here are friendly enough and are willing lend some helpful advise.

Welcome!! You've got some good looking shots already. Not a sausage guy myself but there are many experienced folk here!

Best of luck!!

Reactions: nlife
Welcome from central Florida.
Been many years since I was in BC.
Used to go skiing many times a winter at Whistler / Blackcomb when I lived in Seattle.
They thought this Minnesota boy was from Manitoba so I got treated well, and I don't use "a".

They thought this Minnesota boy was from Manitoba so I got treated well, and I don't use "a".

I spent a few days in Emo, Ontario, for a work trip. Emo is literally a stones throw away from Minnesota since the small river is the divider. I still get a kick out of how the people there pluralized everything. I remember checking in and the receptionist asking, "So, hows longs are yous guys goings to be staying here?"

Not only that, but since the previous occupant(s) hadn't checked out in time, they took all of their stuff out of the room, cleaned it, and put a note on the door saying, "Do not enter. Your belongings are at the front counter".

Welcome from Kentucky. Nice! and yep, plenty of sausage makers around here.

Welcome from Nova Scotia

looks like you got a handle on it already, love the mustard sausage in a bun

Glad you joined in on all the showin and tellin and a little fun along the way.

Nice of you to mention Rick for the pepperoni recipe , when you want to get someone's attention or a thank you use the @ key then their call name
that way they know and can respond. Like BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker , now Rick will know that you were talking about him and his recipe

Glad you joined up

David

Thanks for the welcome all!

When we first tried the smokies, my son bit into his and it shot a stream of juice out of it. I was sitting next to him and was a casualty of a juicy sausage after it hit me in the face and forehead.

Thought I would introduce myself to the good folks at Smoking Meats! New to making sausages, but not new to smoking meats in general. I started out with a Bradley smoker and had decent success with it for getting great flavored meats. I used it for quite a few years before my parents received a Traeger pellet grill with the purchase of a car. My parents are seniors and really didn't have much use for it so they gave it to me. I quickly found that there's a pretty big difference between it and the Bradley. The Bradley was quickly relegated to the basement and left untouched for a few years since the Traeger does an absolutely wonderful job with chicken and all other meats for that matter. My wife and I love jerk chicken - though I prefer jerk pork just a bit more.

As great as the Traeger is for hot smoking meats, it isn't able to cold smoke, or have temps run below 170-180F at the lowest. This wasn't a problem before, but now that I've gotten into sausage making, I need to be able to run temps a tad cooler so I don't end up rendering the fat. Hence, the Bradley has been rescued and put to use.

After struggling with the KitchenAid grinder/stuffer attachment I initially purchased, I picked up a Weston 11lb vertical stuffer and a Weston 1/3rd hp Butcher Series #5 Commercial Grade grinder a short while ago. I've watched a ton of YouTube and have a few recipes, but I've also picked up Marianski's book Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages. Wife says it's more of a college textbook than it is anything else largely due to the sheer amount of info in it. She's not completely wrong.

In any event, since picking up the gear, I've made some Jalapeno Chedder Smokies, breakfast sausages, garlic coil, and most recently, Pepperoni with the recipe posted by BGKYSmoker. I know the forum loves pictures, so here's a few:

Jalapeno Cheddar Smokies fresh out of the smoker

View attachment 681425

Hot off the grill and in a bun. Gobs of mustard and piles of onions makes for perfection

View attachment 681426

Money shot of the jalapeno bits and pockets of cheese

View attachment 681424

Garlic coil getting a good smoke in the Bradley

View attachment 681427

Finally here are a few of the Pepperoni sticks I made using BGKYSmoker's recipe.

View attachment 681428

I've got lots of learning to do on all of this, but hopefully the fine folks here are friendly enough and are willing lend some helpful advise.
looks really good!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky