How to: Crisp / Shiney / Dry outside layer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerryl

Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Houston, Texas
Question for the guru’s.

Each time I BBQ/Smoke meat the outside is a bit moister than I "think" it should be.

I am unable to get a dry and crisp outer shell and expecting a “shiny outer shell”. 

I think it is possible because that is that the meat looks like in top level restaurants.

A search indicated temp and oven cooking, and some did this on the grill.  Cooked the chicken at 275-300F but did not get the expected results.  Maybe need to add more salt to the outer layer (??)

What is the key to getting dry outer layer on ribs and chicken?

If the ribs were in foil, remove them for the last 1/2 to 1 hour.

Just did some chicken last night, not sure how I would get that shiny or dry look, but then again, not sure I would want to.

Fresh out of the smoker

After 10 minutes or so on a hot grill.

Now letting meat rest a bit after removing from the smoker will allow the juices to redistribute back thru the meat.

Last edited:
Ok, looks similar to how mine turned out. 

Guess I am on the right track. 
241.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky