First mozzarella attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
jcam222 jcam222

For humidity in a cheese cave, an analog cool mist humidifier and an inkbird RH controller is the best solution. Plug and play-no wiring required. But Loyd may have more insights. I know some cheeses are best aged in a container with small vent holes to achieve 90% humidity....which is tough to do in a cave without fighting bad molds....
Thanks, will factor in what Loyd says as well and start shopping lol.

I have as many successes as failures, so take it for what is worth, but I have an upright fridge/freezer on an ink bird temp control. For humidity, I have those humidity beads they sell for humidors. I make about 5 lb cheese once a week and it stays 75 - 85 % pretty good. If it goes low, I add water. If I have several drying, I open the door more frequently. For higher humidity, I use Tupperware aging boxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
Reactions: jcam222
My only complaint about the InkBird controllers is the sockets are too close together.
They don't take in to account that people might be plugging power adapters into the sockets.
You can't plug two in, you need to use and extension cord for one of the devices.

My only complaint about the InkBird controllers is the sockets are too close together.
They don't take in to account that people might be plugging power adapters into the sockets.
You can't plug two in, you need to use and extension cord for one of the devices.
1712587258648.png

Thats awesome.

My SIL has 3 milk producing goats, been trying to get him to make cheese.

I'm think expecting Inkbird to make a substantially larger housing to fit some indeterminate variety of different plugs & wall warts is not realistic. But let the anger flow if it helps :)

I have as many successes as failures, so take it for what is worth, but I have an upright fridge/freezer on an ink bird temp control. For humidity, I have those humidity beads they sell for humidors. I make about 5 lb cheese once a week and it stays 75 - 85 % pretty good. If it goes low, I add water. If I have several drying, I open the door more frequently. For higher humidity, I use Tupperware aging boxes.
I'm going to retract this statement. This did work great for the winter when the "cellar" was heated by a small seedling mat. Now that it's warming up and the cooler is coming on, the water tray does not keep up, I think the cooler just extracts too much moisture. I'm going to set up an inkbird humidity controller and a small humidifier along with a very slow computer fan.

So to you mir xe perfect and nice cheese folks, how long is the fresh mozz good for? Is it a smells good it's ok things? I have some left I might use for a Caprese salad but it's been in the brine for 14 days.

I'm not sure I'm much help here. Quick mozzarella still has 100% of the original lactose and no "good buggies" introduced. Being so moist, the water activity is high. Spoilage and pathogens have no competition.

I don't think this comes down to the "if it smells good" test. I think it comes down to your risk tolerance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky