How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the MES 30 with a window and remote. It comes with wheels  and a handle and moves very easily. Just tilt back and push or pull. I use mine on a 50 ft 14/3 ga ext cord. Been doing this for over a year and never a problem. I don't  buy extended warranty as it always been a waste of money in the past. Hope this help's you in your decision. I have had charcoal and gas smokers in the past but the MES 30 is the best.

I've owned my 30" for a few weeks and it has been great so far. Easy to learn on. Still tweaking a few things with temp and rubs. I've cooked a little bit of everything on it, ribs, pork loin, pork roast, ABT, fatty, whole chicken, and last but not least a brisket... so you could say I've been a little busy!!! 

I bought ours at Atwoods 3 years ago in April for my hubby's birthday.  Only thing, he has never, ever cooked anything on it.  That has been me!  LOL.  Anyway, I love it.  I have cooked several turkeys, chicken breasts and leg quarters, ham, macaroni & cheese (several times..big favorite here at my house), pork ribs, pork chops, some salmon and brisket once.  Brisket did not turn out well, but that was probably me.  I haven't tried it since because I can buy pre-cooked, pre-sliced yummy smoked brisket for not much more at Sams.  I kick myself often that I did not go ahead and get the larger one at that time since it really wasn't that much more. Next up is bologna that my son wants. Picked up a 6 lb whole bologna of his favorite brand while back in Mississippi after Christmas.   Not really sure how to do it, but I am sure I can find out here.
Bologna is one of my favorites. I cook it @ 225 for hour and half or hour and 45 min. I use Pecan and when I put in bologna then another batch about 45 mins later. I don't fill up chip loader but get about closed handful. I know people like different things you may want to try just half or so. 

I am going to pick up a new MES very soon, however, I'm still not sure which one to get.  My problem is that I am on the west coast of Canada.  The only place that sells them here in my area is Lowe's, however the Lowe's here does not have any in stock and can't get any till April.  I can order the MES 30 through Lowe's online and have it delivered to my door in a few weeks, but they will NOT deliver the MES 40.  The Lowe's in Bellingham, WA has a MES 30 in stock, but do not have a MES 40 in stock, however they can get one in a few weeks.  Lowe's Canada will not honor the Lowe's USA extended warranty if I choose to get it, which I was thinking of doing seeing as though the Masterbuilt warranty is only 90 days.

so not sure which to get... if MES 40 is that much better, I can only get it in the US and I'll have to wait.  I'm leaning to just ordering the MES 30 and having it delivered for free.  Will I be happy with the 30?  Should I get the extended warranty through Lowe's?
Most people , including me, started with an MES 30, and wished they started with the MES 40, and end up getting one.

However more important than size is to make sure you get the Generation #1, and not the Gen #2.

Bear

Sorry a couple more questions... Does either the MES 30 or 40 have wheels to tilt it and move it around?  And is it safe to run the MES with an extension cord?

I have the MES 30" with window and front controller - it has wheels.
Depending on length and gauge it can be safe to run the MES off a extension cord.

Next up is bologna that my son wants. Picked up a 6 lb whole bologna of his favorite brand while back in Mississippi after Christmas.   Not really sure how to do it, but I am sure I can find out here.
Really can't do it wrong with bologna.

I smoke 5 pound logs quite often because it's a favorite around here. It's kind of funny but it seems like the cheaper the better as far as the bologna is concerned. We use Bar S since we're from Oklahoma.

Unwrap it, score it a few times end to end about an inch deep, and I lightly sprinkle mine with the rub I use on my pulled pork, making sure to get some down into the score marks. I know people around here that smoke it "naked" though and it turns out just fine.

I use Pecan or Hickory and run it 225ish for an hour and a half or two hours. I've run it as long as four hours on pecan (forgot about it as it was a last second throw in with some chicken) but that's probably smokier than anyone else will want to eat it.

I got the 30" with the viewing glass window and remote control. Wifey purchased it from QVC. So far I like it but I wish it could go higher than 275. I'm looking at the GMG Jim Bowie as a possible future purchase but I am pleased with my MES.

I bought the plain black 30" (digital, but no window...wishing it had the remote and the window), for only $129.99 at Tractor Supply. Wasn't really in the market, but at that price it is a good addition to my OK Joe's Longhorn.

I bought the plain black 30" (digital, but no window...wishing it had the remote and the window), for only $129.99 at Tractor Supply. Wasn't really in the market, but at that price it is a good addition to my OK Joe's Longhorn.
Dang that is a deal. I wouldn't worry about the remote. I gave up on mine after the first use. The remote seemed to have a mind of its own and would change the settings or turn the smoker off randomly.

Dang that is a deal. I wouldn't worry about the remote. I gave up on mine after the first use. The remote seemed to have a mind of its own and would change the settings or turn the smoker off randomly.
I thought it was a pretty damned good deal, which is why I bought it. Saw the deal posted on a FB page, and had to call 6 different stores to find the last one within a 2 hour drive of me. Like I said, I wasn't even in the market, but at that price I could not pass it up.
The next day I went to Gander Mtn to buy chips, and they had them on sale for $169.99!

why is it call mes 30 is it the width or how tall?

i know it's a dumb  question but my wife asked it and i could not answer

Hi All! Just received my MES 30" this week. Got it seasoning right now. Bought at Lowe's (online, $224. + free shipping). Its 14 degrees here in OH, but from what I've read, these things are GREAT to use in cold weather. I have a propane smoker, but honestly, I never got the hang of it...probably because I didn't invest the time it in that it required. From reviews and word-of-mouth, it seems this MES is a "no-brainer", set-n-go type of smoker. Right up my alley!

This chick never thought she'd be EXCITED to use a smoker. And as a newbie I can't wait to learn from you all!

Reactions: mtdineen
I've used mine out in the weather a few times. I put it on a pallet and tie a beach umbrella to it through the handle on the back. looks ridiculous but it's effective. haha.

Here;s a link to my facebook photo of my MES40 in the snow.

Just purchased a MES 30 and have it seasoned but have not smoked anything in it yet. Hopefully we can get the temps in the high teens this weekend and I can get it going.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky