How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Bear,

Just out wondering what kind of difference you see between your control panel on your Maverick? I saw a post where your sensors are at a similar height in the box and you use this to adjust your heat shield to keep your box temps even side to side. This would make me think the two are close?

Thanks!

Have a 30" MES and wish that I got the 40". Making the best of the 30" though. Starting this weekend  and up to the 25th I am smoking up to 24 beer can chickens 4 at a time but would of been easier with a 40". I am brimming 8 at a time over night and smoke 8 in a day. Been using cranberry juice as my liquids, true maple syrup as my rub and injecting them with melted butter. Thought I would take each one when they get done and rested, wrap them up in heavy duty foil, put a Xmas sticker on each one and say Enjoy and Merry Christmas. I then will be delivering them to some of the people here in the park who live alone or can't get out much. Who knows maybe 24 chickens won't be enough. Anyway I love smoking and to me it is a joy just to watch people eyes when they get a taste of how juicy and good tasting a beer can chicken is. To me it is the best chicken I have ever eaten and for someone that is 72 years old that's saying something for I have had a lot of chicken in my life time.
God Bless You!  What a generous thing you are doing for the less fortunate!

I also have a MES 30 and wish I had purchased the 40.

Happy New Year to you and yours,  John

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I did run out and bought a digital meat probe its a Taylor I checked it in boiling water and it is accurate. All I could find in a hurry at Walmart didn't want to over cook my tip roast. I will order me a maverick from Amazon if they have them.

Keep on smoking!

Hey Bear,

Just out wondering what kind of difference you see between your control panel on your Maverick? I saw a post where your sensors are at a similar height in the box and you use this to adjust your heat shield to keep your box temps even side to side. This would make me think the two are close?

Thanks!
Last time I checked with my ET-732 real close to my MES sensor, they were close, so I put the ET-732 on the left, in a mirror position to the MES sensor. Then I compare my left to right heat that way, and adjust if needed.

Been awhile since I checked the sensors that way, but I haven't been smoking much lately due to my health.

Bear

I bought a 30" with remote from Amazon and love it. Brats are a favorite for the games on Sundays and super easy to make. I'be also cooked pulled pork, ribs and brisket. Next up salmon....any recipe suggestions?

I bought a 30" with remote from Amazon and love it. Brats are a favorite for the games on Sundays and super easy to make. I'be also cooked pulled pork, ribs and brisket. Next up salmon....any recipe suggestions?
A lot of people, including me, love this one, if you're looking for snacking Smoked Salmon.

Click here:

Smoked Salmon      

Bear

Just received for Christmas, believe it was purchased at Cabela's. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Got my 2nd gen MES 40 last spring on a lighting deal thru amazon for $250 delivered. So far love it, no issues. Have smoked chickens, turkeys, pork butts, heading to start it up today to do a few chickens. 3.0 looks interesting, like the new water tray and the vent on the top...
beercheer.gif

Reactions: 2cansam
I got mine about a month ago for my birthday and love it. It was ordered online via Amazon on sale when she heard me talking about buying it before it went off sale.

Griz

My wife and four legged furry kids got me mine for father's day a few years back. I hated the smoke control until I got the amazn pellet smoker. That helped a ton. The Temps vary but my meat is always loved by all so I can't complain.

After smoking on a Brinkman charcoal smoker for years, my wife got me a MES 40" for Xmas. I've had an opportunity to season it but living in far northern WI with the temps we've been living with, I have yet to put the new smoker to work. Absolutely love this forum!! I'm reading about new techniques and recipes every day. Seriously looking at the A-Maze-N-Smoker based on recommendations of others. Can't wait for the first chance to put her to work!!:yahoo:

I bought ours at Atwoods 3 years ago in April for my hubby's birthday.  Only thing, he has never, ever cooked anything on it.  That has been me!  LOL.  Anyway, I love it.  I have cooked several turkeys, chicken breasts and leg quarters, ham, macaroni & cheese (several times..big favorite here at my house), pork ribs, pork chops, some salmon and brisket once.  Brisket did not turn out well, but that was probably me.  I haven't tried it since because I can buy pre-cooked, pre-sliced yummy smoked brisket for not much more at Sams.  I kick myself often that I did not go ahead and get the larger one at that time since it really wasn't that much more. Next up is bologna that my son wants. Picked up a 6 lb whole bologna of his favorite brand while back in Mississippi after Christmas.   Not really sure how to do it, but I am sure I can find out here.

I just picked up a 30" with window at Lowes as a Christmas gift to myself. I have done a few sessions with it and love it. As with anything, there are parts of it that I would like to function differently but I think it gives a very good starting platform (especially since I live in a residential area where having a smoke house or large wood burning smoker wouldn't really work).

I am going to pick up a new MES very soon, however, I'm still not sure which one to get.  My problem is that I am on the west coast of Canada.  The only place that sells them here in my area is Lowe's, however the Lowe's here does not have any in stock and can't get any till April.  I can order the MES 30 through Lowe's online and have it delivered to my door in a few weeks, but they will NOT deliver the MES 40.  The Lowe's in Bellingham, WA has a MES 30 in stock, but do not have a MES 40 in stock, however they can get one in a few weeks.  Lowe's Canada will not honor the Lowe's USA extended warranty if I choose to get it, which I was thinking of doing seeing as though the Masterbuilt warranty is only 90 days.

so not sure which to get... if MES 40 is that much better, I can only get it in the US and I'll have to wait.  I'm leaning to just ordering the MES 30 and having it delivered for free.  Will I be happy with the 30?  Should I get the extended warranty through Lowe's?

Sorry a couple more questions... Does either the MES 30 or 40 have wheels to tilt it and move it around?  And is it safe to run the MES with an extension cord?

Sorry a couple more questions... Does either the MES 30 or 40 have wheels to tilt it and move it around?  And is it safe to run the MES with an extension cord?
My 30 has rear wheels so you can tip it and push it around (although I will be putting it on a cart soon to elevate it and make it easier to use). I use an extension cord but it is a very short one (about 10 feet). It doesn't heat up at all during use. I would be afraid of using too long of a cord or using a cheap one. If you have a high quality heavy gauge cord that is rated to handle the draw of the smoker you should be fine.

As for your other questions, I don't know about the 40 but I can ran my 30 this weekend with a 7 lb pork but and a 6 lb pork loin and had plenty of room to spare so if you plan on doing small batches it should be fine. I am not a fan of extended warranties for anything. I have seen numerous posts on this site on how to fix the few problems that arise on the MES so if you are handy I would say you could repair it yourself and save the money on the warranty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky