Homemade corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cjbdvm04

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Bought a usda choice angus brisket, 15lb. Trimmed and now have two portions of flat and one point. Want to make corned beef using equilibrium cure calculator from (http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html). I don't want to soak the corned beef in water after the cure to remove excess salt. What I mean is that I want the cured beef to contain the proper amount of salt right out of the cure. Then I plan on preparing it sous vide and then searing. My question is this: what percent salt should I use in the cure?

Depends on how salty you like your corned beef. I have found that the 2% in Martins Calculator is spot on for the bacon we make. I have not used his calculator for making pastrami or corned beef.

That a question only you can answer. Everybody's taste is different. 2% may be too salty for some and not salty enough for others.
I used a 2% salt ratio for my venison pastrami and my brother said it was a tad salty, however his wife said it needed more.
I thought it was perfect.

I'd try 2%, and adjust on future cures.

2% is popular around here for most large cuts being cured. Works for me...JJ

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll shoot for 2% and will let you all know how it turns out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky