Corned beef!?????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motownphilly

Original poster
May 1, 2017
I picked up some already cured corned beef that I usually crock pot. This time I want to try to smoke it. Have a camp chef smoker. Any help would be great.

Store bought is usually pretty salty. The usual boiling method mitigates that. If you're looking to smoke it you'll need to soak it for a bit in some water. Internet searches will tell you to soak anywhere from an hour to overnight. Best method is to soak for a bit, say an hour, then cut off a small piece. Fry it up and try it. Too salty? Repeat the process until you're where you want to be.

I usually soak it overnight with a couple water changes. Then put a pastrami rub on it and smoke away! I dont have access to my pastrami rub, but search and you shall find.

Soaking is all dependent on the brand. Some are very salty and others aren't. I haven't made pastrami in a while and can't remember the rub I used. A quick search on the forums should get you some good ones.

Chris

I did two not long ago . First one I soaked for an hour with 1 change of water . It needed salt after it was smoked . The second one I just rinsed and patted dry . It was perfect .

I suggest taking a cut from one end and frying it up to see how salty it is , and base the soak time from that .
Also check the label for a sodium amount .

Never heard of boiling the CB before smoking. I just cold soak with a couple water changes. Then season and smoke.

Reactions: JLeonard
Never heard of boiling the CB before smoking. I just cold soak with a couple water changes. Then season and smoke.
I think boiling was mentioned because that's a traditional way of cooking corned beef. Since the prepackaged corned beef is brined assuming a boil, you have to remove some of the salt if smoking instead.

I think boiling was mentioned because that's a traditional way of cooking corned beef. Since the prepackaged corned beef is brined assuming a boil, you have to remove some of the salt if smoking instead.
That makes sense.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky