HELP!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

James K.

Original poster
Aug 10, 2018
Hello everyone! Very new to this forum and to smoking in general. I need help figuring out the best possible way to use the brinkmann vertical charcoal smoker that was given to me. If anyone can help please comment. I am in the process of curing the unit but need some advice on the do's and don'ts.

Reactions: Xendau
Welcome James! Only here for a couple weeks myself... Grillin and Q'in' for over 2 decades, wish I had found this place sooner. Great group of people, a wealth of knowledge... and great recipes!

There are a ton of places you can look. I would go to the search function and type in your smoker name. Should get any number of hits off that.

Thanks. It's took me forever to find the PDF Manuel for this thing so I'mma thinking it's a little older.

I had one for years wore it out. You have a water pan and a charcoal pan. Its simple load the bottom pan which is your charcoal pan with charcoal and light. I just lite on one side that way it would keep feeding to the un-burned charcoal and keep your heat up longer. Fill the 2nd pan which will set right above the charcoal pan with water apple juice or any number of things. Season your meat and place on the racks and there you go. Enjoy hope I have helped.

I'm assuming that this is the torpedo style.

Warren

Yes it did... I guess my biggest question is temperature control. How do I keep a semi consistent temperature with no vents to play with...do I try and block a few of the five holes on the bottom of the unit?

Yes it did... I guess my biggest question is temperature control. How do I keep a semi consistent temperature with no vents to play with...do I try and block a few of the five holes on the bottom of the unit?

Which smoker do you have? You have the square shaped one with a vent on the side at the bottom? It loads from the front?

Yes ive got the square shaped one that loads from the front but unfortunately it's the one that has the vents on the bottom...not the ones on the sides.

Sounds similar to one of my Brinkmanns. I have vents top and bottom on the sides though. I replaced the little round bowl that came with as a charcoal basket, Made one by beating an old dryer drum into a basket. Mine, if I load about a quarter of the basket with unlit, then add a chimney of lit, I get about three hours of 250 degrees roughly. I leave all vents open. You kind of just need to learn the personality of the smoker(I know that sounds weird).

Welcome to the forum!!! With the smoker you have (had one myself a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away.....but I digress) temperature is controlled by how much charcoal you put in it, or more specifically, how much lit charcoal there is in the fire pan. You can control the temps somewhat by opening the side door to provide or shut off more oxygen, but the best way is to add several LIT briquettes as your temperature starts to dip. How many to add or start with is dependent on the smoker, the outdoor temperature, the temperature of the meat, etc. So you'll just have to play with it and learn how it cooks. After a few cooks with it, you'll have it figured out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky