Help me choose a cutting board(s)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
There is a local company here who makes high end cutting boards. I had no idea this company was local. One of my sons buddies got a job there. He was over the other day and says he can get me a couple of these boards that were used in trade shows for demonstrations.

I don't know which ones to get. I think I ruled out the BBQ series one. I don't ever carry spices etc. out to the smoker. All that is done by the time I carry the meat out there. I am leaning towards the modular series. I like the idea.
Let me know what you all think.
http://www.epicureancs.com/#welcome.php

I'm with you on the modular series. Good looking boards.

The online literature states:

" Every Epicurean cutting board is thoughtfully designed for functionality in use, clean-up, and storage. With its exclusive cutting surface material which doesn’t dull knives, and the superior hygienic properties, Epicurean is considered the best food preparation and cutting surface available today."

I'm new to SMF but am an old timer on knife sites. I look at the above claims with a great deal of skepticism. They don't even say what the cutting surface is made of, and to state that it doesn't dull knives is pure BS. If your knives aren't sharp to begin with and you're looking for the convenience of cleaning in the dishwasher, I suppose these boards would do the trick, and the modular series seems to fit your needs.

If you have sharp knives, and want to keep them that way, the only two types of boards to use are end grain wood and Sani-Tuff rubber boards.

I looked at the site and it says they are made from eco friendly paper with resin - The gourmet series looks like a good one to me - you can use either side and it has the juice groove - nice score in my book

I'm not really into the high end cutlery. I think the knives I have now say Ginsu on them.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
They seem to work fine for what I use them for. The most thats expected of them is to cut spares into St. Louis style ribs and they manage that just fine I guess.
I think it did say on their site somewhere what material thay are made of. They have a demo video where it is mentioned I beleive.
At any rate I'm not going to turn down a freebie on what appears to be some pretty decent cutting boards.
I think I will go with a modular and a carving board. Or the gourmet, or the big block or....
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Hey buzzard767, nice to see you on SMF. Personally I'm with you but then my knives are not Ginsus. Given the OP can get a good deal on these, I'd just suggest the OP get a board that's not too small.

i like the chef series and the puzzle modular for long runs..........

This is one of the things I hold dear to me and thats my knifes Henkal twins and my boards are Boo's Blocks I have 2 of them both are the 2" thick one bamboo and the other is end grain maple. They are very heavy and are well taken care of also. I'm just thats way about some things of mine.

I would go with the 27x18 Chef or the 24x18 Big Block if it were me.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

If it's free, it's me! I'd measure where I was going to store that baby, and then get one that fit with that dimension. Otherwise, I'd be getting out the 'ol Milwaukee circular saw and rippin' that be-atch to size!

They look like good stuff...can't go wrong with any of them IMHO! I have good knives (Henkels twin series), and a steel (or ceramic steel) will ensure that the board doesn't roll your edge.

If its free I say get the biggest one that will hold those ribs you need to trim
biggrin.gif
Or get an assortment the price certainly is right

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky