HELP! Big Daddy Cold Smoke Generator home built smoker moisture buildup??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

porkribking

Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
Greetings All,
My wife purchased a Big Daddy Big Kahuna COLD smoke generator for me for Xmas. I got a bargain on a apartment-size refrigerator. I removed all the guts and drilled a 3" hole to connect a 90-degree PVC smoke stack. (I placed the "chimney" on the side pointing towards the back so as to prevent rain/snow getting inside.)
I just tried my first smoke "break-in" today. I used hickory Traeger pellets.
When I opened the door there was lots of smoke residue coating everything as I expected, but this is where I am stumped! My break-in period was 2 hours long and there was condensation on the bottom. I mean STANDING water that took 5-6 paper towels to wipe up. So obviously I will have to clean the bottom after every time I smoke anything.
The magnetic seal is very good so the only escape for is the chimney. Is this normal? I guess the moisture will prevent any meat from drying out, but it just doesn't seem right to me.
Comments/suggestions more than welcome.
One thought I had is maybe I should have put the chimney on the TOP with the 90 degree pointing sideways? I need to mount a thermometer to determine the temperature, but I can tell you it gets hot for a cold smoker....Hot enough that you will burn your fingers hot. Odd for a "cold-smoke" generator. I am waiting for my response for manufacturer as well.
Thanks all for your ideas/suggestions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky