Bella Cold Smoke Generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Anyone have one of these? Bella's Cold Smoke Generator-GEN2 I put the whole cold smoking project on the back burner for a while as I pursued other things...but it's now turning cooler again I want to take another swing at this. I'm tired of fighting with my mailbox style mod / AMNPS and ashtray tasting cold smoke. I'm going to try another way of generating smoke for my MES 40, but I think that is going to end up being more along the lines of warm / hot smoking so I am seriously considering one of the Bella's but don't want to spend that kind of money if it's not worth it... then again, what have I already spent trying to DIY it?? Curious as to the down sides and would like to hear people's experiences. Thanks in advance!

I have one similar that I don't use anymore. Used maybe 3 times.
Lot of creosote would build up in it and liquid smoke would build up in the smoke line.
It only had a tiny fan inside that I think was the problem.
That aquarium pump looks like it will push more air through.
Hopefully that avoids the issue with the creosote build up I had.
Doubt it will stop liquid smoke in the line to the pit though.

Last edited:
I installed one on my big smokehouse and really like it. You do have to stay up on cleaning the tubes but otherwise wise it’s a slick machine.

Do burn dust or pellets in your tray?
I've tried both.
I installed one on my big smokehouse and really like it. You do have to stay up on cleaning the tubes but otherwise wise it’s a slick machine.
I saw your thread on that after I posted this. I'm going to grab one and rig it up to the MES 40.

Pretty sure that's the one Cajuneric Cajuneric uses with his SmokinIt smoker in all his videos. Seems to work pretty well for him. But I don't have any firsthand experience.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Anyone have one of these? Bella's Cold Smoke Generator-GEN2 I put the whole cold smoking project on the back burner for a while as I pursued other things...but it's now turning cooler again I want to take another swing at this. I'm tired of fighting with my mailbox style mod / AMNPS and ashtray tasting cold smoke. I'm going to try another way of generating smoke for my MES 40, but I think that is going to end up being more along the lines of warm / hot smoking so I am seriously considering one of the Bella's but don't want to spend that kind of money if it's not worth it... then again, what have I already spent trying to DIY it?? Curious as to the down sides and would like to hear people's experiences. Thanks in advance!
I don't have any info/input on that generator but if you are having ashtray flavor while cold smoking then I would bet money that your issue is stale smoke which = smoke lingering way to long instead of new/good oxygenated smoke coming in and pushing older smoke out.

I ran into this issue when cold smoking using my Mailbox mod +AMPNS and MES40.

Solution... get the draft going. I did a simple and inexpensive DIY project to make a "draft" suction device that will pull cold smoke up and out of the smoker causing circulation, draft, and ensuring new good smoke was always on the meat.

Results... fixed all cold smoke ashtray issues and produces amazing cold smoked salmon lox (basically the only thing I cold smoke).

Here is what it looks like. It's basically just cardboard rolled into a tube, a little 12 volt computer blower fan that blows UP the tube, and a cannibalized 12v plug to power the fan. Materials can be had for like less than $10 I would think.
Check this out as I am confident something like this OR just a simple fan blowing across the vent will cause draft and fix your cold smoke issues :D

full.png

I don't have any info/input on that generator but if you are having ashtray flavor while cold smoking then I would bet money that your issue is stale smoke which = smoke lingering way to long instead of new/good oxygenated smoke coming in and pushing older smoke out.

I ran into this issue when cold smoking using my Mailbox mod +AMPNS and MES40.

Solution... get the draft going. I did a simple and inexpensive DIY project to make a "draft" suction device that will pull cold smoke up and out of the smoker causing circulation, draft, and ensuring new good smoke was always on the meat.

Results... fixed all cold smoke ashtray issues and produces amazing cold smoked salmon lox (basically the only thing I cold smoke).

Here is what it looks like. It's basically just cardboard rolled into a tube, a little 12 volt computer blower fan that blows UP the tube, and a cannibalized 12v plug to power the fan. Materials can be had for like less than $10 I would think.
Check this out as I am confident something like this OR just a simple fan blowing across the vent will cause draft and fix your cold smoke issues :D

View attachment 678856

I think stale smoke is certainly an issue when cold smoking, so i rigged this thing up with a PVC Y and a variable speed fan in a venturi style setup. I think the inconsistency in the fire with the AMNPS and my mailbox setup contribute more problems than they are worth so I'm going to give this a try. If nothing else it will work very well when I'm warm hot smoking.

From this thread Here

20220304_105350-jpg.jpg

I think stale smoke is certainly an issue when cold smoking, so i rigged this thing up with a PVC Y and a variable speed fan in a venturi style setup. I think the inconsistency in the fire with the AMNPS and my mailbox setup contribute more problems than they are worth so I'm going to give this a try. If nothing else it will work very well when I'm warm hot smoking.

From this thread Here

View attachment 678858
Ah I see. It seems you have a good handle on things.
I feel like you are going to get this whipped for sure :D

Reactions: mr_whipple
Well damn, that was fast. When they said free shipping to the lower 48 I figured to see it in maybe a week... snail mail style. I ordered it Thursday, sometime around noon I think?? Anyhow, it was here today when I got home from work. Shout out to those folks at smokin-it.

20231023_154418.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky