Hello from West Columbia, Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoke-N-Steven

Original poster
Jul 18, 2023
I'm Steven. 32 yrs old. Been Following this forum for a while. Sitting here at work I decided today would be the day I Stop lurking and start helping out. Although my knowledge is limited i'm learning a little more everytime I read a post. I've been smoking meats (Sausages, Jerky, Ham, Pastrami, etc) since I was around 8-9 years old. I really enjoy the subject and like learning all that I can. Here's a few of my past creations of Venison Pastrami and Cured Smoked Catfish.

Attachments

• Cured Smoked Catfish 2.jpg
    Cured Smoked Catfish 2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 8
  • Cured Smoked Catfish 3.jpg
    Cured Smoked Catfish 3.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Cured Smoked Catfish.jpg
    Cured Smoked Catfish.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Pastrami 2.jpg
    Pastrami 2.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 9
  • Pastrami 3.jpg
    Pastrami 3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Pastrami.jpg
    Pastrami.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 9
Welcome from Mississippi! Glad to see you decided to come in from the cold and join up with us. We'll teach you the secret handshake next week. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing: Great looking cooks you posted. I'm intrigued by the smoked catfish.

Jim

Greetings, and welcome to the community from New Mexico, USA.
I'm with Jim (JLeonard), can you tell us more about the cured/smoked catfish ?

Well I love smoked salmon and trout, but being in Texas I don’t have many salmon around here to catch. I haven’t tried anything with saltwater fish, but it is next on my list. I catch catfish quite often and being as they’re a really versatile fish, in my opinion, I decided to cure them up like I would Salmon. My end goal was to can them much like you would see Tuna, or to pickle them like a herring. But I haven’t made it that far yet. They were a little salty, my fault, but the texture was perfect. It’s a little more firm than salmon and cold water trout but it was perfect to make fish dip out of.

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky