Hello from rainy London

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Another Carolinian saying welcome! I've been all over but now South Carolina is home.

Whole hog is tremendous but you've got to have a small army to eat it. I'd say at least one of my rolls is from pig pickin' - have eaten enough belly and skin from whole hog that I might be 3-4% pork.

Now saucing that pig, I bet every Carolina person here has a different vinegar and pepper recipe. Wars have been fought over Carolina vinegar blends.

Sausage looks great!

Reactions: frankie007
Another Carolinian saying welcome! I've been all over but now South Carolina is home.

Whole hog is tremendous but you've got to have a small army to eat it. I'd say at least one of my rolls is from pig pickin' - have eaten enough belly and skin from whole hog that I might be 3-4% pork.

Now saucing that pig, I bet every Carolina person here has a different vinegar and pepper recipe. Wars have been fought over Carolina vinegar blends.

Sausage looks great!

I was reading about that in various books! Very old school where you live, and great BBQ culture, It's my dream to visit the region one day. Thanks for the welcome!

Hello all,
Just to say hi.
I have been smoking for about 10 years. This (pictured) is my second smoker that I built. I smoke mainly sausages, belly, loin, Tasso and have done pastrami on occasion....Looking forward to getting info form you guys but I have to admit I was lurking for a while
Hello from equally rainy Kent ... I am in Rochester and have a big, custom made stick burner as well as a huge array of other grills. I cook mainly over oak or African hardwoods and I have just started making my own sausages!

David

Attachments

• 2023-11-27 09.03.36.jpg
    2023-11-27 09.03.36.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 7
Yeah, when you finish with that Carolina BBQ, come on over to the Memphis area for some real BBQ! :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Jim
Memphis is like Kansas City - it's meat and is smoked, but that's about it.

Just kidding lol. Both Memphis and KC have decent Q. None of it beats Texas beef ;)
Though South Carolina does pull a mustard based sauce off that can be out of this world good on pork.

Last edited:
Memphis is like Kansas City - it's meat and is smoked, but that's about it.

Just kidding lol. Both Memphis and KC have decent Q. None of it beats Texas beef ;)
Though South Carolina does pull a mustard based sauce of that can be out of this world good on pork.
Gotta agree on the mustard sauce....I like it better also!

Jim

I was reading about that in various books! Very old school where you live, and great BBQ culture, It's my dream to visit the region one day. Thanks for the welcome!
It's getting a bit harder to find the BBQ that was prevalent when I first moved here. When I moved here in the '90s there was a little BBQ place on every corner selling hickory smoked pork and hash. Now it's more like a mixture of all the BBQ worlds in every restaurant you walk into (at least around the Queen City, Charlotte NC) and it's for the worst - most places sell Memphis Ribs, Texas Brisket, and pulled pork that I swear comes from food service distributors. Mostly gone are the hash and BBQ houses that were so damned good. I remember the first time I had hash. Life changing experience. I took a couple of quarts of it home. Probably wasn't 5 bucks a quart.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky