healthy smokin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mballi3011

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 12, 2009
I'm faced with a delimma from the doctor that my wife works for. He's a 5'2" very nice man and and a great peds doctor I guess cause he can look them n the eyes. Ok he loves my cooking and reaaly likes my affords on the smoker. He is also a lets say a small health nut and he asked the wife to since he loves the Q so much could I smoke somethiing alittle more healthy. So I told her to tell hiim I'll smoke some toffu JK but does anyone one have any healthy smoking tips and recipes and I've already smoked fruit and t wasn't s big hit. So now I bring it to the experts.

I'd say that chicken/turkey (esp the breasts) can't be that bad in the healthy food stakes - redeuced salt & sugar for the rub & it's gotta be OK.

Pork & beef seem to like the fat to break down for moisture - but something like the pulled pork pizza done recently with a lower fat cheese would get the taste, but reduce the 'bad' food %age. EDIT -Jeannie's smoked shrimp has GOT to be healthy as well as impressive as hell.

The smoked turkey soup/burnt end chilli/ twice cooked potatos etc all should be acceptable in a healthy diet as well. Also one I mean to try is smoked butternut squash for my mother - she LOVES it roasted squash.

Personally I think most things are healthy in moderation. (Especially moderation - so I'm allowed a blowout
icon_cool.gif
).

Fish for sure and some turkey sausage fatties loaded with some sauteed veggies. It's not smokin but take any pit fruit as plums,peaches,ect....cut in half drizzle some balsamic vinegar on them. cook at 350-400 until you like the how done it is and then sprinkle kosher salt and cracked black pepper...it sounds weird but even my kids loved this. It might even work in a smoker I may have to try it.

heck come to think of it if you make homemade sausage it is pretty healthy.

I have done turkey for the office and but the fish sounds good and maybe a turkey and cherry's really sounds good John. I also the salmon is going to be the next smoke for her office then maybe a turkey bird an cherries for thanksgiving. Thank yo all for the great and speedy responce.

I saw Alton Brown on Good Eats the other day (re-run) and re-discovered that a trimmed pork tenderloin is every bit as lean as white meat chicken. Just be careful not to dry it out by overcooking it.

Fat, cheap cuts of meat are meant for the low and slow BBQ smoker. Therefore, what you'll probably find yourself doing with leaner cuts of meat (fish, tenderloin, seafood, chicken breasts, etc.) is grilling them...which makes for some mighty tasty food too.

In fact, I like to smoke my ribeye steaks for a few minutes before finishing over high heat.

OK, I'm gonna play devils advocate!

The fat is not necessarily your enemy. Fat does not make you fat (I know that doesn't sound right, but if you go back to basic physiology, it is insulin that is lipogenic or fat generating).

You need to avoid the sugar. Also avoid a lot of the other things associated with BBQ; bread, potatoes, and unfortunately alcohol (the purist of sugars).

If you go on the Adkins diet you will have one of the best cholesterol profiles around.

watch the salt, but don't be afraid of it unless you have heart failure or are African-American and have high blood pressure. These are the only 2 situations that have actually been studied in relationship to salt. You can also use some light salt which is potassium chloride with your regular salt to cut the amount of sodium.

I'll get off my soap box now, it just gets me going on how much nutritional misinformation the public and many doctors have bought into.

As mentioned poultry and fish.I like making big batches of salsa that have the tomato,onion etc smoked.

Grill/smoked and stuffed zuccini,squash,leeks are pretty and healthy...

Let's take a close look at our smokers and grills. They are the healthiest way to cook except for the microwave and we know how that stuff turns out. I'd rather smoke or grill my food as I'm sure you all will.

The problem with most cookouts is the sides made available. Lemonade, beer, potato chips, mayo based salads, all just screaming fat and calories.

Healthy BBQ isn't hard to obtain, you just have to think outside the box and be willing to experiment. Using Turkey is a good example. just choose lean cuts of meat, trim excess fat and turn often to allow fat to drip off.

Instead of fat laden sides, offer grilled potato slices with evoo and herbs, baked potatoes, skip a macaroni or potato salad and offer greens with grilled veggies such as squash, asparagus, onions, etc.

Good Housekeeping offers up some awesome looking recipes for grilling. I know you know how to smoke chicken and turkeys, so I have only discussed doing sides on the grill that are healthy as well.
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food...-grilling-0703

Good luck and Qview us some healthy grub!

At Christmas last year I did salmon for a party and it was wonderful. There are so many things you can do with it. There are a lot of good recipes on the forums but I kept mine simple. Slow smoked low temp with some alder and pecan... rubbed the salmon with some brown sugar and pepper etc on cedar plank. Good luck!

i say you smoke a fat one with him then serve some smoked jerk wings and set him down the right path, maybe finish the deal with some baby backs smothered with jack, brown sugar and molasses so sweet and sticky he'll forget about being healthy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky