Had a Flame problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pigbark

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Southern I ndiana
I have a Camp Chef XXL Vertical..

i was into the cook a little over half way and i lost flame.. hopper was full..Auger was working .. i empty the ashes out after every use and clean the bottom of the smoker out... I have read that the auger can go empty and not add pellets to the fire but, i dont let the hopper get past half empty.. im trying to figure out a logical reason this may happen.. the only thing i can think of is, the pellets somehow got clogged up and could not be fed into the Auger? can that happen?

if it keeps up, i will put a firebox on it ...

Sorry cant help you much on that issue as I am not a pellet expert but I am sure someone will be along shortly. If there is a bigger issue I would think camp chef customer service would be able to help. They stand by their products very well. I own two of their products and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: pigbark
There are a few causes for flame outs. One, and I don't know how common it is, occurs when the pellets in the hopper form a bridge that prevents them from falling into the auger.
A more common reason is temperature oscillations that cause the system to overshoot, and undershoot the desired temp, ultimately ending in flame out. I had that problem on my Camp Chef DLX.

temp was a steady 225 the entire cook.. i used Pit Boss pellets.. i know 3 other guys here local that use the same brand and never had a problem.. wind was down last night, it was nice and calm out..

Reactions: JC in GB
There are a few causes for flame outs. One, and I don't know how common it is, occurs when the pellets in the hopper form a bridge that prevents them from falling into the auger.
A more common reason is temperature oscillations that cause the system to overshoot, and undershoot the desired temp, ultimately ending in flame out. I had that problem on my Camp Chef DLX.
I would have to hit the feed cycle to refill the Auger though correct? i didnt have to do that.. i tried to figure out the problem and i couldnt.. so i ended up hitting bypass and it fired back up.. // Temp oscillation may have been the issue.. i did open and close the door 4 times as i wrapped each rack of ribs solo.. it was a open/close deal though, i didnt keep it open for a long period that im aware of..

I have no idea as i4m not familiar with your rig or the brand of pellet but the temperature sounds right on to me. Anything should work well at that setting.
can you explain or maybe have a picture of what your ash looks like when you empty it? my ash looks to be really loose in the bottom of the cooker itself but really dense and maybe even "caked" up looking when i dump the cup out..

I would have to hit the feed cycle to refill the Auger though correct?

Probably. But it's possible the problem was temporary and the pellets started dropping again, but did not ignite because the fire pot had gone cold by then. However, that usually results in lots of pellets overflowing the fire pot as the controller is trying to feed more pellets to get the temperature up. Did you notice a lot of overflowed pellets?

CC controller, common problem. You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure what you did different causing this but its your controller.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky