Ground Venison Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Did all ground venison jerky. Came out pretty dark. Taste good but is really tough. You would never know it is ground meat. Guess I should of not mixed it so much like I do with beef. Not sure the older guy on river I made it for going to be able to eat. Once you get a bite it good.

IMG_20230626_174039285_HDR.jpg

Looks pretty darned good Brian. I've only used ground meat once for jerky and didn't care for it as much as I like muscle meat. Lots of folks doing it though.
Not sure the older guy on river I made it for going to be able to eat.
Well, if you hit any snags, just let me know. I'll take a hit for humanity and see that it doesn't go to waste :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Did all ground venison jerky. Came out pretty dark. Taste good but is really tough. You would never know it is ground meat. Guess I should of not mixed it so much like I do with beef. Not sure the older guy on river I made it for going to be able to eat. Once you get a bite it good.

View attachment 668984
Looks good. Yeah venison doesn't need as much time as beef. I think the solution is to pull it earlier. Glad you are enjoying all this jerky. I want to make more venison jerky soon :D

BGSDT, Your jerky still looks like a good snack and now you know to pull the next venison batch a bit sooner. :)

I bet a cold brewski would help wash those tasty looking fellers down!

I sometimes have a tendency to overcook it also. Still seems very pliable so let it go a bit longer. When cools, ends up drying out. Yours does look tasty though :emoji_ok_hand:

I sometimes have a tendency to overcook it also. Still seems very pliable so let it go a bit longer. When cools, ends up drying out. Yours does look tasty though :emoji_ok_hand:
It is really not dried out at all. I mixed it on high for about 3 minutes which was to much for venison. Works great for beef though.

Did you have any trouble with sticking? I did 20# of a honey BBQ and it is a wet sticky mixture. The ground tended to sink into the openings on the Meat dehydrator racks and made an hours work for me and my son to push and pry them off the racks.

I am trying the last 7.8 left over in round extrusion tip instead of the flat and see if that makes any difference. I am going to trying ground as the girls complain about the deer jerky from whole muscle being too tough.

Wondering if anyone else had this problem and a solution like a different application on a screen mat or something.

I only do ground these days and never had any problems with it dropping into the webbing. Maybe to much liquid?

Wondering if anyone else had this problem and a solution like a different application on a screen mat or something.
I'll sometimes start on non stick foil . When the jerky sets I take it off the foil and flip it over .

I use jerky mats. My dehydrator came with them for the racks. Never had an issue sticking with a bbq mix. I only use a dry mix for the dehydrator usually bbq.

On the smoker use the same type mats. Also will use a wet mix with minimal issues.

I went to parchment paper on the racks to save the sticking to the racks. The weston did not stick but was slow and hard to clean. Meat dehydrator work great but the thin wire makes it sag into it.

I am still experimenting and trying recipes. Likely to continue next year after I run out of patience and ground deer. These little batches of experimentation frustrate me. I like tried and true recipes and 20# mixed and dehydrated over two days.

My Pepper and teriaki used on whole muscle are slight failures. The pepper need more, pepper, and it has a lot for whole muscle. Teriaki I got to research more. Tried one called smokehouse and feed it to the dog. One saving note, it used two Tbsp of corn syrup per pound and it gave the ground jerky and better bind and texture. This was hand mixed so machine would be even better maybe with less. Hot jerky with cayenne was fairly good, but dry and corn syrup might save it.

Recipe ideas are welcome.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky