Greetings from Long Island, NY!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rednecktailg8er

Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Long Island, NY (Bellmore)
Good Afternoon from Bellmore, NY (Long Island)

I'm Paul, Mac, or Big Mac - depending on who you ask

After borrowing my neighbors "la caja china" a few times for larger roasts, reading through this website (and many others -- and some raichlen books) i decided to break down and add a smoker to my collection.  Picked up the Master Forge Vertical Smoker (59$ lowes cheap-o) and banged out a 16 hour apple wood-smoke on an 10lb boston butt saturday night into sunday.  It came out awesome -- made sliders with 2 diff bbq homemade sauce, pickles, coleslaw --- everyone skipped the fixings and CRUSHED the pork.... (but now i re-read this site today to learn "I did it all wrong" haha not really but I know i can improve)

I've done a lot of grilling over the years (just turned 31 so that's a lot of years).. definately a beginner at smoking --- but i did pretty good so far.. I look forward to picking the brains of those more experienced on the site.

The Stable:

1) Weber 18 1/2 Kettle Charcoal

2) Weber Summit Series Propane

3) Master Forge Vertical Smoker Charcaol

4) Can borrow neighbors "La Caja China" if i want for big roasts.

I've got a good digital meat thermometer but realized i should invest in a dual zone wireless model, so that's my next project researching.

Also prob should get my own chimney starter, so i don't have to keep taking my neighbors.

also thinking of making some MODS to the MF smoker over time.

Cheers and happy smoking

-- Mac

Hi Mac! 
welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

I'll save you some time researching a therm, just get a Maverick ET732, it's the most popular and probably the best therm out there:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAVET-732

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky