Hello from New Waverly TX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

5J Farm

Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
New Waverly, Texas
I'm really a grill master. Have owned several crappy smokers over many, many years, and did alright, and I've used some very nice smokers (borrowed of course). But most recently I've been getting that itch back to start "proper" smoking again (and it's a big itch LOL). So I've been using the wood chip box in my grill over the last 6 months and the results have been surprisingly successful. But this must stop. I know this is blasphemy in the real smoker world.
I recognize it's time for me to make the switch to the right tool. But, I'm not buying a big box store smoker and I can't find the smoker I really want.
I've been browsing for a while on this site and I think it's time I start asking questions. I've got a buddy who is a world class welder and he's on board to help me out.

Anyway, I've got some design questions heading y'alls way!

Welcome from Kentucky! We have quite a few folks on here that can help you with your build.

Welcome from Colorado. If you can find a used smoker in your area that has enough steel to be welded together (1/4”+) at a good price, buy it as a start. Your friend that can weld, can help with modifications to get it close to what you want. A number of folks looking for the ‘set it and forget it’ option are switching to pellet poopers and selling solid smokers. It may offer an option to get you back into smoking without needing a full build first.

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy, and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
Not a builder myself, buy serval here are.

Welcome from Mississippi! Lots of info to be gained on here. Look forward to your posts and pics.

Jim

Welcome from Wisconsin. I have a Stump's Baby smoker and I love it!! It is an insulated cabinet smoker that I can run with few issues in the winter. If you have a decent budget, you may want to check them out.

JC :emoji_cat:

Welcome from OHIO! Looking forward to your build!

I'm really a grill master. Have owned several crappy smokers over many, many years, and did alright, and I've used some very nice smokers (borrowed of course). But most recently I've been getting that itch back to start "proper" smoking again (and it's a big itch LOL). So I've been using the wood chip box in my grill over the last 6 months and the results have been surprisingly successful. But this must stop. I know this is blasphemy in the real smoker world.
I recognize it's time for me to make the switch to the right tool. But, I'm not buying a big box store smoker and I can't find the smoker I really want.
I've been browsing for a while on this site and I think it's time I start asking questions. I've got a buddy who is a world class welder and he's on board to help me out.

Welcome from S. Florid. Look forward to your adventure.
John

Hello from New Braunfels, Texas, Prosit ! In New Braunfels 'is das leben schon. (is the good life)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky