Gravity feed Build - help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigjohnsbbqnv

Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
Las Vegas (Henderson)
I need some help from the pit builders on here!

This past summer I finished building my gravity feed. The details of the Build and cooking fuel are as follows:

Built with 1” square tubing for framing and 18g sheet metals. All welded seams. The cabinet dimensions are 22” L x22” W x34” H. My firebox and feed Shute are 1/4”. Feed Shute dimension is 6”x6” with no taper. Firebox dimension is 6”x17”x 7.5” tall. My heat transfer tube is 4.5”x 6.5”. All panels are insulated with 1”mineral wool. I typically run a Bbq guru on it for temp control. I couldn’t be happier with the consistency of the temperature. The Air inlet is 1” diameter pipe (I am currently making the inlet air larger) Stack is 6”x3.5” with adjustable damper. I typically use kingsford blue bag. I also Add some fruit wood or hickory chunks to the ash pan.

I learned to cook on an offset and my first few smokers were offsets. I love the smell when they are burning, but mostly the flavor you get from them. After cooking on the gravity feed about 20 times, I have never liked the smell of the smoke or the flavor on the meat. It tastes like a campfire. But the fire seems to be burning clean-ish most of the time. I believe the flavor could be coming from the charcoal, but I also have a few theories that I am looking for some insight on:

1. My heat transfer tube hieght is too tall, and the charcoal fire is too big for the amount of air these run on and the size of cabinet.

2. The inlet/stack dimensions are off. (I am thinking the stack is fine, but the inlet is not big enough.)

3. Need to try lump (but i’d Like to figure out the design flaw, because I like the consistency of the briquettes.)

I will post some more pictures later today but here is the final product.

View media item 554211
View media item 554214
View media item 554215
View media item 554216
View media item 554217
View media item 554218
View media item 554218
View media item 554219
View media item 554220
View media item 554221
View media item 554222
View media item 554223
View media item 554224
View media item 554225
View media item 554226
View media item 554227
View media item 554228
View media item 554229
View media item 554230
View media item 554231
View media item 554232
View media item 554233
View media item 554234
View media item 554235
View media item 554236
View media item 554237
Your help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm certainly no expert on the thermal dynamics, air flow, etc. of smoker design and construction. There are calculator formulas for figuring the dimensions of fire box, stack size and length, etc. in offset pits, but I've never heard of such a calculator for gravity feeds. That being said, I'd guess you're on the right track - trying different types of charcoal, and trying tweaking your air flow as much as your setup will allow, until you find the 'sweet spot'.

By the way, sweet looking build!
Good luck!
Red

Reactions: bigjohnsbbqnv
I'm certainly no expert on the thermal dynamics, air flow, etc. of smoker design and construction. There are calculator formulas for figuring the dimensions of fire box, stack size and length, etc. in offset pits, but I've never heard of such a calculator for gravity feeds. That being said, I'd guess you're on the right track - trying different types of charcoal, and trying tweaking your air flow as much as your setup will allow, until you find the 'sweet spot'.

By the way, sweet looking build!
Good luck!
Red
Thank you! Maybe once I figure it out I’ll create a thread with calculators in it.

Thank you! Maybe once I figure it out I’ll create a thread with calculators in it.

That'd be great...I cook on a gravity fed myself, and like them so much that I've considered trying to build one.

There is a site out there on the web that sells a set of gravity feed smoker plans, with all the dimensions (and everything else) already calculated, but they're kinda spendy - around $80 for just the plans. If you got stuck, you might contact that guy...I've talked to him a couple times...good guy. He might be willing to give you some expert advice. Just Google Smoker Builder, and you'll find him - his name is Frank Cox. And he runs a forum for other smoker builders...you might join over there too and ask these same questions...might get more expert advice from others who've built pits similar to yours.

Red

Last edited:
Reactions: bigjohnsbbqnv
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky