Goulash for a win!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Last night I was hankering for a comfort meal. And goulash came to mind.

IMG_20230829_181153705.jpg

Pound of shells
Pound of GB
Large can of tomato sauce
Large can of crushed tomatoes
small onion diced
1 tsp pepper
1/2 garlic powder
1 tsp minced dried onions
1 tbs dried parsley
1 tsp of Flatiron four pepper blend. Great spice. And pretty warm.
Salt to taste.
Into a bowl with a good splash of my homemade hot sauce.
Was quite tasty!

Looks awesome Steve. I'm waiting for cooler weather down here before I start making my Goulash. I'm gonna try your recipe this fall. It looks like a winner.

Oh man! Thats a rib sticking heart warming meal right there. Looking forward to cooler weather to start making soups and stews again.

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
Looks great! Weather now is perfect for that. Here in Ohio lots of folks call that Johnny Marzetti. We called it goulash but in laws JM. Most here add celery or use celery salt in it for some reason. Wife has the schools goulash recipe and the base is tomato soup of all things. Not sure if you saw the thread on paprikash here but if you ever want to make Hungarian goulash (or paprikash) get you some paprika paste. Member here turned me onto it and it's WICKED good. The paste has salt so heads up...

Reactions: jcam222
That's a meal after my own childhood right there . We called it " Ground meat and noodles " I make it at least once a month . I've seen it called American chop suey out east .
You got the sauce to meat to pasta ratio perfect for me . Looks fantastic . That's one I can't stop eating . Big time favorite around here .

Pretty warm ? Lol , I'd say so . I just used some of the 4 pepper blend in some breakfast sausage . Yeah , it's pretty warm .
Try the Dark and smokey if you haven't already . It's good too . Heck they're all good .
1693405796356.png

Reactions: zwiller and 02ebz06
Wow Steve!! That just looks SOOOO good. As others have said, it sure brings back some very fond childhood memories. I've made it a couple times and really enjoyed it but for some reason it never shows up in my thought processes for dinner....until now :emoji_wink: Thanks for posting this my friend and bringing it back into my life. I think my "what to cook for dinner today" dilemma has been solved.

Robert

Looks awesome Steve. I'm waiting for cooler weather down here before I start making my Goulash. I'm gonna try your recipe this fall. It looks like a winner.
Thanks Dave!

Looks good Steve, and I am in for some comfort food lately also as the nights
are starting to cool off a little ( well not to day with the rain storm again from south of us )

Have to look this up.

David
Thanks David! I'm thinking about making chili this weekend while camping.

Mmm. That brings back memories of Mom.
I do miss my mom's goulash.
Looks good Steve
Thanks Jim!

Oh man! Thats a rib sticking heart warming meal right there. Looking forward to cooler weather to start making soups and stews again.

Jim
Thanks Jim! It did hit the spot!

Looks great Steve! I've had many a bowl of similar growing up.
Thanks Jeff!

Looks great! Weather now is perfect for that. Here in Ohio lots of folks call that Johnny Marzetti. We called it goulash but in laws JM. Most here add celery or use celery salt in it for some reason. Wife has the schools goulash recipe and the base is tomato soup of all things. Not sure if you saw the thread on paprikash here but if you ever want to make Hungarian goulash (or paprikash) get you some paprika paste. Member here turned me onto it and it's WICKED good. The paste has salt so heads up...
Thanks! I've had that before. Very good stuff!

That's a meal after my own childhood right there . We called it " Ground meat and noodles " I make it at least once a month . I've seen it called American chop suey out east .
You got the sauce to meat to pasta ratio perfect for me . Looks fantastic . That's one I can't stop eating . Big time favorite around here .

Pretty warm ? Lol , I'd say so . I just used some of the 4 pepper blend in some breakfast sausage . Yeah , it's pretty warm .
Try the Dark and smokey if you haven't already . It's good too . Heck they're all good .

View attachment 674789
Thanks! I have the dark and smoky. Haven't tried it yet though. I really like the sweet heat. I just bought 4 more of that.

Wow Steve!! That just looks SOOOO good. As others have said, it sure brings back some very fond childhood memories. I've made it a couple times and really enjoyed it but for some reason it never shows up in my thought processes for dinner....until now :emoji_wink: Thanks for posting this my friend and bringing it back into my life. I think my "what to cook for dinner today" dilemma has been solved.

Robert
Thanks Robert! I do believe the "enabler" done struck again!!

Looks great Steve! Thickness is spot on! I make some my wife nicknamed it " slump " lol

Ryan

Last night I was hankering for a comfort meal. And goulash came to mind.

View attachment 674723

Pound of shells
Pound of GB
Large can of tomato sauce
Large can of crushed tomatoes
small onion diced
1 tsp pepper
1/2 garlic powder
1 tsp minced dried onions
1 tbs dried parsley
Salt to taste.
Into a bowl with a good splash of my homemade hot sauce.
Was quite tasty!
Nice I see you take the tomato route and that is good too. We do a Hungarian version with more of a brown sauce and cayenne for spice

Looks great Steve! Thickness is spot on! I make some my wife nicknamed it " slump " lol

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Ann calls it a dumparoni.

Awesome looking meal there Steve love goulash

Warren
Thanks Warren!

Nice I see you take the tomato route and that is good too. We do a Hungarian version with more of a brown sauce and cayenne for spice
Thanks Cliff. I forgot about Hungarian goulash. I haven't had that in a long, long time.

Reactions: clifish

Jim
Looks fantastic Steve, we called it American Chop Suey growing up. It was always and still is a winter favorite.

Point for sure
Chris

Looking forward to cooler weather to start making soups and stews again.

Jim
LOL Jim, not a phrase heard to often in the northeast.

Chris

Looks fantastic Steve, we called it American Chop Suey growing up. It was always and still is a winter favorite.

Point for sure
Chris

LOL Jim, not a phrase heard to often in the northeast.

Chris
Here in the South soups and the like are a cold weather meal. We aint as hardy in the cold weather as "you guys".

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H and gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky