Goose/Pork Fermented Pepperoni Sticks...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Still on the snack stick train... this is the last batch with goose though. 25# total...35%goose/ 65% Pork (80/20). Total fat content of mix is around 16%.

I followed the Marianski recipe with a few tweeks:
dropped the dextrose to 0.33% from 0.4% because I'm fermenting while cold smoking @90*F and I added 108mL of red wine. (The wine will add some fermentable sugars and the higher fermentation temp. will give a lower pH drop.)
Dropped the anise to 0.1%
Added 0.2% caraway seed
I toasted the fennel, caraway, and anise seeds, then ran them through my spice grinder.
Added 2 cups NFDM powder

Stuffed in 19mm collagen casing.
Hung the sticks on racks over chairs for 3 hours, then loaded them into the smokehouse to ferment while cold smoking with hickory. Will warm smoke tomorrow morning after fermentation is finished...
IMG_20200819_121602.jpg
IMG_20200819_151401.jpg
IMG_20200819_151425.jpg

Last edited:
I took a bit of what was left in the stuffer and fried it in a pan. Seasoning is spot on, heat will increase a little once they dry and they should be perfect. Will check pH in the morning, then smoke once pH drops to around 5.0...

Nice Never heard of that culture.
It's a new culture Adam. Came out mid-2019. It has bio-protective qualities from the bacteria which protects against listeria. And the sub-strain staphylococcus carnosis utilus will remain active producing flavor compounds down below pH5.0.

I have been using it and quite like it. Can be used as a fast fermenting culture, and at the moment is the fastest culture I have.

Sticks hit pH5.07 @3am, just over 15 hours of fermentation @90*F. Now to smoke them 120-150*F until INT of 136*F for 2 minutes (per USDA regulations for cooked fermented semi dry products). Using Hickory and little bit of cherry.
IMG_20200820_030354.jpg
IMG_20200820_030406.jpg

Reactions: 73saint
Well, the sticks finished smoking around 8am this morning. Color is great, but may have had some creosote issues while cold smoking. I used some homemade hickory wood shaving dust in the Amazin tube...first time using this dust in the tube. Had creosote on the bottom of the water pan that was just above the smoke generator.

Sample piece, the spice was mild, slightly bitter (could be creosote). Could be smoke in general as italian pepperoni is not smoked so I may just not be use to that flavor profile in a pepperoni. We'll see how it goes as they dry...but all those hickory shavings are in the garden bed now.
Also-the color inside the sausage is not as deep and dark red in the pepperoni as it would be with a dry cured product. More than likely because the staphylococcus bacteria did not have enough time to do their work.
IMG_20200820_072324.jpg
IMG_20200820_072330.jpg

pH meter has an offset of +0.15....I was tired from a long night and did not recalibrate the unit prior to measurement of pH. pH was around 5 when finished smoking...
IMG_20200820_080100.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky