Glad My Home Is Not Wood -All Repaired

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
Let this be a lesson to ALL... Sure is to me...

The other night the wife come screaming "FIRE" "FIRE" around midnight.. Ran out to see what was going on... This is the results., The flames were to the top of the door...

IMG_20231217_151637.jpg

I put everything away around 9:30 pm... Everything was cool to the touch..
Best I can figure a hot coal fell in the mulch below...

Glad you caught it. I caught the back of the attached garage on fire about 7 years ago. Had a Holland gas grill back then. It was about a foot off the back wall and I'd cooked countless times like that. I started it up and put some food on and then went up to my office to do a few quick reports on a Sunday. Came down and noticed what looked like charred paper floating by the kitchen window. Go outside and the siding is melting. Stood there and watched the fire dept axe a hole in the wall to douse a hot spot. Somehow an ember got into some dry leaves. They told me if I hadn't have called the hot spot would have caught and likey took my garage and car if not the whole house. Needless to say I try to keep a good 4 - 6 feet from the house and make sure there is no dry debris.

That was close... glad it didn't turn out worse!

Ryan

Damn. It could have been a lot worse. Glad it wasn't.

Glad that is the worst of it and that you both are safe.

It's the eaves to the left of the light that I'm worried about. Once you get flames into your attic, things get real bad real quick--you're way beyond garden hose controls.
I'm sure you're right...a hot ember fell onto that flammable ground cover. I always say pull cookers away from walls or fences and ensure they're on a stone/brick/concrete spot when in use--grease fires with high flames are far more common than folks realize.
And after cooking, never leave hot coals/pellets behind. Scoop/pour them into a covered steel bucket that can be doused with water and disposed of next day.
Me (and Smoky the Bear) recommend:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BEHRENS-Galvanized-Steel-Locking-Lid-Storage-Can-6-Gallon/47182434
Seriously folks, the safety engineered into our cookers is SOOOOO much less than what's in a modern furnace or water heater. If we don't police ourselves on this, insurance companies will make our coverage unbearable...it'll be worse than life insurance for cigarette smokers.
Let's face it, we're somewhat of a dying breed...it's not like everyone starts fires regularly like we do.

I put everything away around 9:30 pm... Everything was cool to the touch..
Best I can figure a hot coal fell in the mulch below...
Hot coal and a breeze . I'm glad you caught it early .
I'm just commenting , because you might have some structural damage there . Just depends on how hot the masonry got .

Oh my, that was close. Glad the damage wasn’t worse.

Some years back on Christmas morning, I was in our upstairs bedroom. We sleep with the sliding door open. I heard a sound like a rocket booster. I looked out the door, and our neighbors house across the street was on fire and flames were jetting across the street over the curb.

He had setup a turkey fryer in front of the garage and then left for a short time. It caught on fire and the propane tank vented causing the rocket sound. It burned the house to the point the only thing salvageable was the foundation. Very, very scary.

The family returned home to see it fully engulfed and were in shock. We surrounded them with blankets, warm drinks and hugs. It was awful to see them go though it.

• Wow
Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky