Fresno Poppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Went to the store yesterday to grab some jalpenos to make some poppers and bam... piles of beutiful red fresno and jalapenos. With all the talk about them lately I knew I had to shift gears and use the fresnos.

Canoe style...

20230708_173514.jpg

Forgot to take a pic of the stuffing, but it was chopped up left over smoked chicken thighs that I had sauced with some of this and mixed with a jarlsberg/jalapeno cheese dip the local Kroger sells. I mixed in a touch of the sauce also. I drive by there fairly often and stop to eat their breakfast, but the Q is not so stellaralthough I do love their sauce. It's the not so famous Virginia style Q sauce. Hard to describe.. maybe I'll try another day to put it to words.

20230708_173705.jpg

Anyway.. stuffed them full and wrapped with Smitfiled thick cut bacon. I don't normally use thick cut, but when I do them on the kettle it's my go to. Super thin bacon just can't take the heat quite like the thick stuff.

20230708_183828.jpg

And there you have it.. These things were quite large. I made two slider sammiches out of a few and called it dinner.
20230708_193241.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy Sunday!

Looks good! How was the heat on those fresnos?
Quite nice. I tried leaving as much rib inside the peppers as I could but took a little more than I cared for. Too many barley pops by that time of day. I like my poppers on the hot side and these could have been, but no complaints. I just ate the last two for breakfast and can still feel a good tingle as I type.

Reactions: Steve H
Quite nice. I tried leaving as much rib inside the peppers as I could but took a little more than I cared for. Too many barley pops by that time of day. I like my poppers on the hot side and these could have been, but no complaints. I just ate the last two for breakfast and can still feel a good tingle as I type.
Thanks. I've heard that they are warmer than jalapenos. I removed the seeds and ribs on the ones I'm fermenting.

Thanks. I've heard that they are warmer than jalapenos. I removed the seeds and ribs on the ones I'm fermenting.
Eh... I eat more jalapenos than fresno but I'd say heat varies from pepper to pepper. They do have a different flavor that's for sure. I bet the hot sauce will be killer either way.

That's true. I've had jalapenos before that were without hardly any heat. And some that were pretty darn warm. I should have tried one of the fresnos before I started the batch.

Pretty tasty looking stuff!! As much as I love seeing jalapeno poppers, it's always nice to see a different take on them.

Robert

Went to the store yesterday to grab some jalpenos to make some poppers and bam... piles of beutiful red fresno and jalapenos. With all the talk about them lately I knew I had to shift gears and use the fresnos.

Canoe style...

View attachment 670115

Forgot to take a pic of the stuffing, but it was chopped up left over smoked chicken thighs that I had sauced with some of this and mixed with a jarlsberg/jalapeno cheese dip the local Kroger sells. I mixed in a touch of the sauce also. I drive by there fairly often and stop to eat their breakfast, but the Q is not so stellaralthough I do love their sauce. It's the not so famous Virginia style Q sauce. Hard to describe.. maybe I'll try another day to put it to words.

View attachment 670116

Anyway.. stuffed them full and wrapped with Smitfiled thick cut bacon. I don't normally use thick cut, but when I do them on the kettle it's my go to. Super thin bacon just can't take the heat quite like the thick stuff.

View attachment 670117

And there you have it.. These things were quite large. I made two slider sammiches out of a few and called it dinner.
View attachment 670118

Thanks for looking and happy Sunday!
Looks like a great race meal. I haven't bought store bacon in years but might hunt some up for ABT's

Dang... that was only last month and I already forgot about them. They were awesome, but so were the smoked salmon poppers. Good times!

Eh... I eat more jalapenos than fresno but I'd say heat varies from pepper to pepper. They do have a different flavor that's for sure. I bet the hot sauce will be killer either way.

Heat can be all over the place even on peppers on the same plant. If the pant gets stressed with high temps or drought it will make even a mild pepper like fire.

You guys probably know this already..but for more heat with pepper..especially jalapenos...look for the ones with loots of corking lines on them.

Reactions: mr_whipple
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky