freezing pepperoni?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 25, 2014
Canada
Im making about 10 lbs of pepperoni chubs today and smoking/cooking tomorrow.
My question is this: What is the best way to freeze it? I have a FS so that will be part of the process, but should I preslice then cryovac or leave the chubs intact and cryovac. I will cut the chubs into about 3" long

What is your process for freezing more sausage products than you are capable of eating in a week?

When I make pepperoni I vacuum seal and freeze slices in amounts for a pizza.
Also in small amounts for snacks.
Never used the large casings for pepperoni.

But I do same for salami and summer sausage. Cut them in snack size pieces and slices for sandwiches, vacuum seal and freeze.
Never saw the need to have a whole chub of them frozen as we would never go through a whole one after thawing.

I would leave them in chubs or 1/2 to 1/4 chubs. I think it lasts longer and preserves the quality. Try a few sliced and a few in chubs and see which you prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
I have had better luck leaving my summer sausages unsliced for long term storage, sliced opens it up for more moisture lost, same way for ground meats, I will leave meats in large sections till I want ground. ymmv

I also freeze it unsliced and vac sealed.

Nitrate/nitrite-based meats may not require refrigeration/freezing, but it can't hurt.

Thanks guys, I will leave them in chubs for freezing this go around.
I have sliced in the past and have had them come out pretty wet once thawed and they also had an off flavor ( not spoiled, but di9fferent than when they went in the freezer)

I have sliced in the past and have had them come out pretty wet once thawed and they also had an off flavor ( not spoiled, but di9fferent than when they went in the freezer)
I have the same even when unsliced . Never the same after its frozen in my opinion .

Reactions: hondabbq
I have the same even when unsliced . Never the same after its frozen in my opinion .
I hope it isnt the same outcome as this is the best batch ever I have made. IMHO.

Reactions: chopsaw
I hope it isnt the same outcome as this is the best batch ever I have made. IMHO.
It gains some moisture in the freezer . I had a guy that cooks for a living tell me that when the moisture in meat freezes it expands and can tenderize whole muscle . Not sure if it's the same effect on sausage or not , but makes some sense to me .
The last SS chub I pulled from the freezer got wrapped in pink paper and sat in the fridge for a few days . It definitely helped the texture and moisture level .
keep us posted .

I let the chubs rest in the fridge for 5 days before cutting down and putting into FS bags. They are no in the freezer and will be pulling one out next week im sure to test.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky