Frrozen meats with cure added.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

D_Walker

Original poster
Aug 21, 2023
Meridian, Idaho
Hello, my first post here.
I have a question on freezing a sausage mix. We made a few pounds of link sausage yesterday and we kept out about a pound of the mix (unstuffed) to cook up later this week for tacos. We used a correct amount of Prague #1 cure in the full mix.
Apparently my wife put the lb. of mix we held out in the freezer. That lb. of mixed meat did not set in the fridge overnight as the links did, she froze it within 30 minutes after making it up.
My question now is... Does freezing the meat mixture before allowing 12 hours for the cure to work stop the curing process? If so, is it ok to now let it thaw in the fridge to allow the curing process to continue once thawed, or has the freezing before the 12 hours stopped the cure process altogether?
Thanks for any help. D-Walker

Hello, my first post here.
I have a question on freezing a sausage mix. We made a few pounds of link sausage yesterday and we kept out about a pound of the mix (unstuffed) to cook up later this week for tacos. We used a correct amount of Prague #1 cure in the full mix.
Apparently my wife put the lb. of mix we held out in the freezer. That lb. of mixed meat did not set in the fridge overnight as the links did, she froze it within 30 minutes after making it up.
My question now is... Does freezing the meat mixture before allowing 12 hours for the cure to work stop the curing process? If so, is it ok to now let it thaw in the fridge to allow the curing process to continue once thawed, or has the freezing before the 12 hours stopped the cure process altogether?
Thanks for any help. D-Walker
Welcome to the forum.
The curing process will stop once the meat is frozen but will continue as normal once it it thawed.
Any photos of those links? What type of sausage were you making?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Welcome to the forum.
The curing process will stop once the meat is frozen but will continue as normal once it it thawed.
Any photos of those links? What type of sausage were you making?
I appreciate the response. We're pretty new to this as you may have guessed. I've made a few batches of beef pepperoni, but this was just the second batch of sausage. It was an 80/20 chicken sausage.
I don't have any photos of the links, they're vacuumed sealed now so I doubt a picture would do much. I think they turned out pretty good.

Looks like my wife had taken a photo after stuffing.

Thanks again, D. Walker

Attachments

• IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I appreciate the response. We're pretty new to this as you may have guessed. I've made a few batches of beef pepperoni, but this was just the second batch of sausage. It was an 80/20 chicken sausage.
I don't have any photos of the links, they're vacuumed sealed now so I doubt a picture would do much. I think they turned out pretty good.

Looks like my wife had taken a photo after stuffing.

Thanks again, D. Walker

Attachments

• IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 15
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky