Found old knife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was wondering if anyone can help identify it.
That's cool . If it's original military it should have an inspectors cartouche stamped on it somewhere . The markings can go un noticed unless you really look for them .
Here's a couple Bayonets that I have .
Japanese Arisaka , and a spike bayo off my Lee Enfield
20230904_151506.jpg
Stamp on the Arisaka bayo .
20230904_151524.jpg
The British spike is a letter and number .
20230904_151609.jpg
20230904_151605.jpg
Check that one out real good and see what You can find .

Reactions: gmc2003
Yeah , that’s not a bayonet . What has me wondering is the scabbard on a lot of military knives and bayonets will have a metal tip if the rest is leather . Keeps a guy from getting stuck if he falls on it I guess . That’s a cool knife a looks period for WW2 through Korea . Be interested to see what you find out .

The only reason I was thinking bayonet was because of the nub on the handle, but old sarge old sarge had a good explanation for that.

Chris

No numbers, but it does say Sheffield England on the guard.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Thats good . I saw that when I was looking . I bet it's legit . I'll have to go look again

Oh man, that Henckels knife got me drooling. Great patina, but there appears to be some rust. You can pick up medium and fine grit Japanese carbon knife rust erasers for peanuts on Amazon. You can just remove the rust or the patina, then stone sharpen that baby.

GREAT FIND!

Ray

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Oh man, that Henckels knife got me drooling. Great patina, but there appears to be some rust. You can pick up medium and fine grit Japanese carbon knife rust erasers for peanuts on Amazon. You can just remove the rust or the patina, then stone sharpen that baby.

GREAT FIND!

Ray
Thanks for the info on the rust erasers, Ray. I'm sure that I didn't do everything the correct way, but it turned out ok for me.. Very sharp ! ( cut myself while cleaning .)
20230906_085844.jpg

Looks great! Now sand that wood down with some 220 and give a coat of pure tung oil (not Formby's) every day for a week (saturate, wait an hour, then wipe dry - repeat after 24-hours) and then give it a very thin coat once a week for a month, then let it dry 15-days.

The photos do not do this 30-year old knife, justice - I wish I had a before pic.

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

Should last another 30-years, with care of course...

Last edited:
Reactions: jaxgatorz
Nice knifes, I put a muzzle loader togethrr from a kit 30 someodd years ago, I stained then put 3-5 coats of tung oil on it using fine steel wool between coats when it dried, still looks like new after all these years

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky