Found old knife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaxgatorz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville,Fl
I found this while cleaning out my mom's kitchen. Has J.A. Henckels Twinworks 114-12" on it. Can it be cleaned and restored ? Is it worth doing ? If I can get it sharp again , it looks like it would be a good brisket slicer..
20230903_100242.jpg

You may have a local knife sharpener that restaurants use (we have 4 locally). They should be able to clean it up, and put a razor sharp edge on it. Mine charges 3.00 per knife. I bring all mine there 1x every 3 months or so. They used to be our knife supplier/sharpener back in the late 80's for a few restaurants I worked at. I still have all the knives and cutting boards I originally bought back then as well.

Just for perspective, the slicer was my grandmas, late 48 ish time frame. It is razor sharp, I still use it for special cuts. The one next to it is my utility knife I made about 4 ish years ago….. it started out shiny but has a really nice patina now…. I have a 4 piece kitchen set I’m making now that I will etch gray after sanding to 800 grit, with mesquite handles (classic retro vibe!). Makes a nice looking knife!
6EAD34D9-96D8-4BDA-9B44-7A4D15C993CF.jpeg

3D514856-25E7-4233-A3D2-E9AD3F6B908C.jpeg

Dude whatever the cost I’d get an edge on it and use the heck out of it. If for no other than it came from moms kitchen. That’s a great piece of family history right there. I still use my granmothers 100 yr old cast iron skillet that is my go to piece. Every time I use it, it connect me back to gran’mas kitchen and dinners in her dining room.

Jim

Beautiful old knife I wouldn't dare polish it. Rub her with some oil sharpen her up and try not to cut yourself later.
civilsmoker civilsmoker could you tell me more about making a carbon knife?
I’ll send you a PM for some viewing and reading enjoyment…. In short a knife made out of high carbon vs stainless steel.

Last edited:
As someone else said, looks like carbon steel. Tarnish happens and adds character. Super easy to sharpen. Keep the wood handle oiled to avoid splitting/cracking especially the end grain at the blade. It looks like a keeper to me.

Personally I would take a green scrubie pad and a little oil to the steel to remove the rust. Then sharpen it up and oil the handle with mineral oil. To prevent the blade from rusting again, wipe it down with mineral oil after each use. I keep a bottle of mineral oil in the kitchen cabinet, just for carbon knives and wooden handles and cutting boards.

Sweet knife, brother.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Personally I would take a green scrubie pad and a little oil to the steel to remove the rust. Then sharpen it up and oil the handle with mineral oil. To prevent the blade from rusting again, wipe it down with mineral oil after each use. I keep a bottle of mineral oil in the kitchen cabinet, just for carbon knives and wooden handles and cutting boards.

Sweet knife, brother.
Actually I keep an old rag with mineral oil in a Ziploc bag, for qiuck wipe downs a few times a month. But it's dry out west, we don't have the humidity that some of you guys have in other parts of the country.

I ebonize most of my wood knife scales/ handles. That way I don't have to worry about oiling them more than a few times a year.

I have a few of my Noni's old knives that she used at home and in her restaurants.

I wouldn't give them up for anything, we were super close to each other.

That's a cool old blade, cherish it, but use the hell outta it.

Dan.

I found this while cleaning out my mom's kitchen. Has J.A. Henckels Twinworks 114-12" on it. Can it be cleaned and restored ? Is it worth doing ? If I can get it sharp again , it looks like it would be a good brisket slicer..
View attachment 675149
After some investigating it seems you have a rare knife that's worth a pretty penny. Looking on line I found it was made in Germany and believe me they make great knives. The one you have goes from approx $80 to over $100 at different sites. Just Google J.A. Henckels Twinworks 114-12 and you will find lots of info on that knife. I would hang on to that baby and watch your dinner guest with roving eyes :-) It's also pretty old. J.A. Henckels is a knife manufacturer based in Solingen, Germany.

Last edited:
After some investigating it seems you have a rare knife that's worth a pretty penny. Looking on line I found it was made in Germany and believe me they make great knives. The one you have goes from approx $80 to over $100 at different sites. Just Google J.A. Henckels Twinworks 114-12 and you will find lots of info on that knife. I would hang on to that baby and watch your dinner guest with roving eyes :-) It's also pretty old. J.A. Henckels is a knife manufacturer based in Solingen, Germany.
Yes, Google was the first thing I checked. It sharpened up great .

Enjoy tha knife Mike. I have a few from my mother and grandmother that I cherish.

Point for sure
Chris

Also Mike, sorry in advance for the hi-jack.

I found this knife in a field circa 1973/4 while riding my Rupp Hustler mini-bike. I tucked it away under my seat while we continued to ride. A week or so later we were jumping our bikes and I forgot I had the knife under my seat. It damn near busted my noobs when I landed hard on it. Anyway that's the background. I was wondering if anyone can help identify it. It's been sitting on top of our kitchen cabinets for the last 33 years. So it's a little dusty.

It does have a hard leather sheath.
DSC05238.JPG

DSC05242.JPG
DSC05241.JPG

DSC05240.JPG

Chris

That's a cool knife, Chris !! Looks like something from Game of Thrones ! :emoji_sunglasses:
Ha ha, It does kind of have an enchanted look to it. I think it's some type of military knife. Maybe a bayonet of sorts. There is a nub on the end of the handle.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Could be wrong but maybe a Fairbairn Sykes , commando, British made or a facsimile. "Nub" is for skull crushing.
I looked up the Sykes knife, and it does look like the commando.

Thanks.
Chris

Reactions: crazymoon
Neat knives, If the one you found in your moms house is straight then certainly I'd get any rust off, sharpen and use it. I enjoy old things.

We found an old SaladMaster set while cleaning out my mother-in-laws home. Use them almost daily.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky