Fish'n and kayak'n

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hookup

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
VA
Figured since this is general discussion, I'd post this here.  If this is inappropriate, mods please either move it where it should be or delete it.

We all have lives other than smok'n, so this is what I did on a very very hot DC Sunday.

Since Sunday was forecasted to be hot, a buddy and I met to float a local flow of water at 6:00am.  Although I get up early for work, its always a chore.  But for fishing, I was up and out of the house in 20 minuets.  Loaded up the car the night before so that I could get an early start.  We hit the water around 7am and stayed out a little longer than we wanted to.

Did I say it was hot?  Water was at least in the high 80’s and felt like a sauna.

Last time I did this stretch of water, a nice drop surprised me.  Here’s pix of the drop and the line to run it is about in the middle.  Have to angle the kayak from right to left to run and if you hit any of the rocks, the fun begins.  The pix do not do the drop justice because that rock on the left’s 2’ tall.  Miss the line and you’ll dump.

664ac57c_Seneca%20Breaks%20Drop%200.jpg

Fishing was tough.  We managed to catch about two dozen smallies, nothing over 15”, but did have one fish bite, bend my M Avid in half and the drags were screaming. 

a67ae891_George%20Catfish%202.jpg

There’s a dam down stream that has a nice chute blasted out for paddlers to run.  Did not realize the recent floods put a rock right in the middle of the bottom of the chute.  I went first, hit the rock, yak spun and got pinned.  No biggie, jumped out of the jack, pulled it over the rock and eddy turned to fish the area under the dam.  My buddy ran the chute knowing now there’s a rock, and when he was done said we should move that rock.  So I did.

Here’s a few shots exploring the chute and offending rock and deciding a plan of attack to move it.  Again, the pix do not do the drop of the dam justice, but this is an easy class I to run.  It’s bark is worse than its bite.

0598028e_Geporge%20Inspecting%20Dam%202.jpg

Fun long day – and did we say it was HOT!

Last edited:
Wow looks like fun and great pics!!!!!!!!!!!

cool.gif

Now that looks really fun and there are alot of folks doing that here in Northest Fla. But we don't have any streams/rivers like that around here thou. Now you have a great time fishing now ya hear.

bbqnuts

I cant figure out how to PM on this sight so send me an email to

rd400d at hotmail dot com

and mark BBQ & fishing in the subject line.

It's above Great Falls.

Sorry about the huge photo's Flash.  I've changed the size in Photoshop so that may help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky