First Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Audi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 19, 2021
We cooked our first meatloaf on the Pellet smoker today. Our usual recipe that we have done 100s of times in the oven except this time on the pellet smoker. We used Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets and set it to 225 and ran it for 3 hours then bumped it up to 275 to try and crisp it up.
It was tasty and all but just not as good as in the oven. Didn’t get that crisp outer skin to it. Any thoughts on how to change things up short of just cooking the whole time in the oven?

Attachments

• E1BC21A8-3AE8-43FD-9B42-840DEA6C2F13.jpeg
    E1BC21A8-3AE8-43FD-9B42-840DEA6C2F13.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 14
Hey SA what temp do you use for the oven and what IT temp did you do to ?
Seems like I usually go 2 hrs @250 then bump the heat up to 350 for 30 minutes or so till it hits 165 as I use a mix of pork and beef.

275*F (or higher) the whole time, and if you want a real dark crunch try spritzing with about 1:1 vinegar and root beer, cherry cola, or dr. pepper/knockoff.

Also, freezing it a little will help buy you some more time, as well as help it hold shape (throw it on in an oblong "0" shape to account for flattening)

Reactions: JLeonard
2 to 3 hours at 225, then go High, 400, 425, that will get it crisp...JJ

Hey SA what temp do you use for the oven and what IT temp did you do to ?
Seems like I usually go 2 hrs @250 then bump the heat up to 350 for 30 minutes or so till it hits 165 as I use a mix of pork and beef.

I want to say we set the oven around 350, not positive on duration but I know we don't aim for an IT in the oven.

2 to 3 hours at 225, then go High, 400, 425, that will get it crisp...JJ

Gonna have to try that next time.

Thanks everyone

If your eating it the next day just give the slice a good pan fry. That way you can get a good sear on both sides. Add some cheese, and ummm good.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
We cooked our first meatloaf on the Pellet smoker today. Our usual recipe that we have done 100s of times in the oven except this time on the pellet smoker...
It was tasty and all but just not as good as in the oven. Didn’t get that crisp outer skin to it.
You need a rub on that meatloaf. And it shouldn't take much more that 1.5 hours at 250F.
Go easy on the smoke wood; meatloaf doesn't need much smoke.
You can see my method (and rub recipe) here on youtube.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky