Flavoring lard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fjfaust

Original poster
Feb 8, 2024
I'm going to be making carnitas and I want to give the cooking lard some additional flavor. Was thinking about fine dicing some fatty pork scraps and rendering them in lard in a dutch oven on my pellet smoker. Do we think this will work or maybe would be better to render on stovetop, let the lard solidify then cold smoke it?

Reactions: JLeonard
Marinate the chunks of Pork and add the solids and part of the marinade liquid in with the lard.

The following marinade is authentic, but there are many authentic variations, e.g. some use milk.

Traditional Carnitas de Cerdo
Dry brine 2"-3" cubes of pork, then marinate for 2-3 hours in,
3parts orange juice, 1 part lime juice, keep rinds in marinade and cooking.
Salt, 3 cloves garlic, 2 Bay leaves and Cumin.
Drain juice and everything else goes into the dutch oven, add in a quartered onion
I use enough bacon grease and lard to just cover the meat, and cook for 2 hours or tender over medium heat.
Then I switch to high heat to crisp the pork.
Salt the pork well as you pull it out of the oil.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky