Firs time making bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not to highjack this thread but the diggingdog calculator caught my interest. Is quick & easy to use when only using cure 1 or 2 times a year. Question is why is his cure percentage at 6.25 not .25? Is this to account for the salt in cure #1. Do all #1 cure have the same salt in them? Just want to be sure before using calculator . Never used cure #1 but want to start to try different cures. Have only used Tenderquick so far but want to make some bacon with #1.
Thanks

The 6.25% is the percentage of nitrite in #1 cure. The other 93.75% is salt. It's just breaking out the percentage of salt so you're not forgetting to when figuring your total salt percentage, say you want 1.75% total salt, you calculate the cure at .25% and the salt at 1.5%.

Reactions: DougE
The 6.25% is the percentage of nitrite in #1 cure. The other 93.75% is salt. It's just breaking out the percentage of salt so you're not forgetting to when figuring your total salt percentage, say you want 1.75% total salt, you calculate the cure at .25% and the salt at 1.5%.
Didn't know content of #1. Just looked closer at pack of #1 just recently got to see it says 6.25. DUH! Live & learn.
Thanks again

Just remember using that calc, your total salt % will include the cure. I calculate myself and add 1.5% salt in addition to what's in the cure (1.75% total salt). If I were to plug my 1.5% into the calculator, 1.5% total salt is what I would get, not the 1.75% I want.

I have two Berkshire bellies in the freezer. I need to get them out and curing. Will prolly cure 1 1/2 and do half as burnt ends.

Just remember using that calc, your total salt % will include the cure. I calculate myself and add 1.5% salt in addition to what's in the cure (1.75% total salt). If I were to plug my 1.5% into the calculator, 1.5% total salt is what I would get, not the 1.75% I want.
So u could change the salt in calculator to 1.75 to get the 1.75 u want??

So u could change the salt in calculator to 1.75 to get the 1.75 u want??
Yes. If I put 1.75 into the calc, total salt will be 1.75%. I didn't really think about it the one time I used it, and put 1.5 in thinking I'd get the 1.5% in addition to the .25% from the cure, but the calc adds both together, so the amount the calc said to add put me at 1.5% . The calc works, and is fine, but it really doesn't take me much longer to whip the calculator out on my phone and multiply everything out myself.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Well I figured 10 days was enough time. I threw the belly into get some smoke today. I plan on smoking about 8 hours then back into the fridge overnight. I’ll do about the same tomorrow and then again on Sunday. After that I’ll slice it and bag it up (what I don’t immediately cook lol). Can’t wait!!!

There is always a benefit of some mellowing in-the-fridge time after smoking.

When you do decide to slice, put some in the freezer as a reminder of how good it is, but keep a generous amount fresh, just experiment with it. One suggestion is PIG CANDY. So good.
DSC01594a.jpg

Ok, i don’t have a picture yet (I’ll get one tomorrow when I slice it) but I’m done. I fried a small piece and I LOVE it!!! I did have a lot of trouble with my smoker tray today though. I didn’t realize that Amazen quit selling their sawdust. The only one that I could find was from LEM. I could NOT get that stuff to stay lit! What is everyone with those doing for sawdust now?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky