I have never made salt pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
I've made a LOT of cured meats and sausages in my lifetime, but I've never made salt pork.

The bride and I use salt pork quite often since we love our beans and peas, but a 12oz pack is now 6 bucks at the local stores! So I figured I'd read the label and go from there. Just what I thought, salt, sugar, sodium nitrite...

Just put almost 3# of belly strips (1" x 1.5") into an EQ cure using cure #1, salt, and a bit of sugar to see how it goes. I'll report back in a week or so with pictures and a big pot of pintos.

The 3# of belly was only 11 dollars, quite a difference price wise.

Anyone out there made this before that has a proven process?

Oh, for what it's worth, I have almost all of the Marianski books and none of them have a recipe/process for salt pork.

Reactions: JLeonard
Following.......
We use salt pork as well. Would be nice not to pay that price.

Salt Pork -Step by Step
  1. Acquire Pork Belly, Chop or Keep Whole. ...
  2. Cover Pork Completely with Sea Salt & Brown Sugar (ratio 5:1) ...
  3. Leave in Mixture for 2-3 days. ...
  4. For larger Pork Bellies Drain and Repeat Steps 2 & 3. ...
  5. Rinse Pork & Dry. ...

Salt Pork -Step by Step
  5. Rinse Pork & Dry. ...
So simple that even on Old Buzzard can do it.

Results next weekend.

Reactions: JLeonard
Salt Pork -Step by Step
  5. Rinse Pork & Dry. ...
No cure needed?

Waiting for the results too. I don't use salt pork often. But the price has gotten out of hand like most everything else.

My Grandparents called meatier slices of salt pork "streak o lean", and it has salt + cure, just not smoked. Here is a post from a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Ever considered using bacon trim for beans?

Clifty Farms sells packs of country ham flavoring pieces which also make a wonderful pot of beans.

My Grandparents called meatier slices of salt pork "streak o lean", and it has salt + cure, just not smoked. Here is a post from a couple of years ago.

My grandparents also called it streaky fat...

Rick has you covered. 6-8% salt dry cure for old school salt pork.....
Thanks, I don't have my notes to remember the cover.
That's how I made a batch for a Scout camporee that was a Civil War re-enactment.
Salt cover (no sugar) and in the bag and fridge for around a week. I chickened out leaving the package in the basement without refrigeration.
I wasn't able to be a leader that weekend as I had to work. Do you think the Scouts or other leaders bothered to ask anyone how to cook with salt pork? NOO
8# belly got chucked

It's done. I felt confident with an 11 day cure since the belly was in 1"x1" strips and it worked out great. Flipped and massaged the bag each day during the cure.

Sliced a little up for a fry test and wasn't disappointed. The bride and her cats approved.

IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

Not going to use much of this in beans, we both agree that we want to use it as bacon! I'll get a full belly next week and cure half of it using the same EQ recipe I did for this batch, scaled up of course. That one will probably cure for at least 21 days.

Thanks for following along

Salt Pork -Step by Step
  5. Rinse Pork & Dry. ...

I had to read the recipe a few times and focus a lot. Upon careful review and consulting the recipe multiple times to ensure I got the process JUST right, I made up a small batch.

Fingers, eyes and toes crossed that I didn't mess it up!

Thanks for this BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker !

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky