Finally dusted off the 26er and fired her up.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well it's been a few months since I've been able to lite some charcoal. Oh, we've had a day here or there of nice weather, but I've always seemed to be working on those days. Not this day - um I'm mean yesterday. This smoke was also kind of special for me. You see, it's my first smoke in 13 years without my little buddy skidmark by my side(RIP little buddy). Ok enough small talk - let's get it started again!!!

First off. I gotta get the kettle going: One cube, four briquettes, a chunk of hickory and one apple chunk. All in the SnS.
DSC01593.JPG

After the coals start ashing over I add the hot water and the rest of the coals:
DSC01594.JPG

I like the tasted of pure beef so here's my slightly seasoned rib-roast.
DSC01596.JPG

Distance shot:
DSC01598.JPG

Added some beef broth and beef consomme to hold the drippings. The liquids sorta look like - well you know. However it tasted real good.
DSC01600.JPG

One russet for me, and a sweet potato for the misses: That roast is sure taking on some nice color.
DSC01601.JPG

...and she's done: Pulled at 127* and let her rest for 20min.
DSC01603.JPG

First slice of the year!!! Purty ain't she...
DSC01604.JPG

The only plated shot I got. I was powerful hungry. Besides the roast we also had the potato, and a melody of peas/corn. Not a bad meal for being the only meal of the day.

DSC01606.JPG

Thanks for taking a peak, Skid would have loved this one.

Intangibles: Smoked at 230* with one spike upward of 250* for about 15+ mins. Total cook time was between 3-4 hrs.

Chris

Beautiful smoke Chris. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I have lost too many of my little buddies last year so I empathize with you. Take care and enjoy the wonderful memories.

G

Wow, that looks fantastic! I wish my wife liked rare meat.

That looks delicious and perfectly done! Great job! Now excuse me as I knock JLeonard JLeonard out of line so I can take his spot! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Nice work ! I'd be all over that .

Thank you very much Chop. I've had that one sitting in the freezer since turkey day. I saw a spell of good weather coming our way and had to jump on it. Appreciate the like also.

That's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, huge Like! RAY

Muchas gracias Ray and for the like. Glad I didn't tack a selfie in there and ruin the moment. LOL.

Chris

Beautiful smoke Chris. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I have lost too many of my little buddies last year so I empathize with you. Take care and enjoy the wonderful memories.

G

Appreciate that G and the like. Skid was a big part of our lives. He always stayed outside when I fired up the smoker or kettles. I think he felt that was his job to guard over the smokers. He was good at it.

Wow, that looks fantastic! I wish my wife liked rare meat.

Thank you Colin and for the like, My wife likes here steaks really rare, I'm talking red meat with the nerves still twitching. I have to reel her back in some days.

Chris

That looks delicious and perfectly done! Great job! Now excuse me as I knock JLeonard JLeonard out of line so I can take his spot! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Like I told Jim there are only the two of us - so leftovers were a plenty. Thanks for the compliment and like Ryan. I was a little nervous being the first cook of the year.

View attachment 490284

Chris is back in the saddle again! And what a way to break in the inaugural smoke of the year. Looks fantastic buddy!

1616456788463.png

Appreciate the like and kindly words John. As normal big like for the meme you always seem to come thru.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky