45 Day Dry Aged Grassfed Beef 3 Bone Standing Rib Rack/Prime Rib/Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spohnat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
For christmas day:

6.56 LBS, two pounds larger than last year's 3 bone. I seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder about 24 hours ahead and rested in a cooler. Smoked at 180 degrees, that was slowly increased to 245 to ensure we ate at the kid's ideal dinner time on the grilla chimp. Ended up taking about 4 hours and 18 mins to get to 128. Did a 15-minute rest under a foil tent. A Christmas gift was a 700,000 BTU torch, so I tried out the flamethrower to add a char to the outside. The meal turned out great. The youngest niece had to be told to stop shoving the meat in her mouth.

The next day I put the 3 bones and fat chunks into the instapot to make a beef broth. I let it go for the maximum of 4 hours. It turned out very rich, and I need to come up with a good use for this Does anyone have any suggestions?

Next up for NYE or NY day: 21 Day Dry Aged Grassfed Beef Tenderloin Roast

Attachments

• IMG_4951.jpeg
    IMG_4951.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4995.jpeg
    IMG_4995.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4998.jpeg
    IMG_4998.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5001.jpeg
    IMG_5001.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5004.jpeg
    IMG_5004.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5005.jpeg
    IMG_5005.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
And, another thing to add to my "want but don't need" list.
It is supposed to be for sous vide to add a char without cooking the meat more. I just wanted to use it here since it is my new toy. TBD if I will sous vide the tenderloin

That looks terrific! I'd be with Jim... gnawing right off the bone!

Ryan

Reactions: mr mac
I went with a pho for the broth use as well as used some of the beef in the soup. no regrets

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky