Favorite Movies Thread...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have it on DVD - GREAT movie!
I'm terrible at math . Unless it's on a framing square , or something to do with building .
When I was in Jr. High math class , I couldn't get an answer , and the teacher said " Just guess at it man "
All I could think about was when Donald Sutherland said " Number two sir "
So that's what I said . The whole class laughed , he didn't even smile .
Strange what some people think is funny , and some don't .

I just watched Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One.

Tom Cruise makes some fricken great movies!

This time of year, A Christmas Carol (either the one with George C Scott, or the one with Alistair Simm) followed by everyone's favorite, A Christmas Story.

Reactions: JLeonard
Bah Humbug! I can't watch any Christmas movie more than once. Yet there was nothing else to watch today.

I was so bored with nothing new to watch on DirecTv or YouTube today so I ended up watching The Blue Lagoon and The Blue Lagoon Returns. I had them sitting on my DVR for a long time that was getting pretty empty recently.

It was more of a backround watch while I did other things. At least the music was good.

I watched Oppenheimer a few weeks ago - I am an amateur quantum physics hobbyist so my interest was predominantly from that point of view - but I thought it was a pretty good movie.

I read up quite a bit about Oppenheimer after seeing the movie and was really surprised about the guy's back story. While he was never found to be disloyal to the United States, it is incomprehensible how so many intellectual elites actually promote communism in the face of the fact that it always leads to tyranny - not that any other political philosophy is without flaws. Nevertheless, it was a pretty good movie but was net very deep on physics.

I will watch it again.

There’s a statement I don’t think many people can make…
It is an astounding subject and it leaves me stunned to realize just how smart the folks are/were that have figured it all out up until this point in space-time.

Hold your fingers a millimeter apart and realize, a straight line between your fingers is equal to 10-billion atoms, that are 90% empty space...

If you can scrounge up On The Beach (1959) that's a killer good one. It's got Gregory Peck, Fred Astair, Ava Gardner and Anthony Perkins. Very early post apocalyptic material.

One of the first books I ever read that really hit me in the feels.

If you can't scrounge it up, I recommend an app - Stremio. Install the Torrentio add-on. I watch the classics this way. If your smart tv can connect to Google Play, you can get it easy.

I do occasionally sail the 7 seas for movies just not available anywhere else. I have pretty much every streaming service under the sun, and sometimes what you want just isn't there.

If you can scrounge up On The Beach (1959) that's a killer good one. It's got Gregory Peck, Fred Astair, Ava Gardner and Anthony Perkins. Very early post apocalyptic material.

One of my all-time favorites.
My favorite scene is the two old Aussie blokes in the Men's Club, who are sitting on several hundred bottles of port, and now don't have time to drink it all.
"It's just damned poor planning, that's all!"

Last edited:
Hey! Enjoyed reading through this thread - don't know how I missed it til now.

Like many, it's hard for me to pick one favorite - always been a big movie fan. On any given day, I might say any one of these was my favorite:

McClintock!
The Godfather
The Quiet Man
The Sting
The Natural
Jeremiah Johnson
Paint Your Wagon
The Outlaw Josie Wales
The Shawshank Redemption
Blazing Saddles

And probably at least that many more that I'm forgetting. Every one of these I've seen maybe dozens of times...but I still have to watch every time they come on.

If someone held my feet to the fire and said, Nope - you have to pick only ONE...

I'd say Shawshank.

Red

The Accountant...no clue why they haven't made a sequel
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...not sure why they did not use the same cast for the next one

Shawn

Reactions: Retired Spook
The Great Santini. The movie was okay. Loved the novel. I read it in Kingsville, TX when I was a basic jet flight instructor. There was a quote in the book that was not included on film. Santini's wife was explaining to their son why Santini's classmate became a general and Santini was still a Colonel. She explained, "The general has the quiet confidence of a man who believes in himself and doesn't need any structure to reinforce that belief." It's been more than 40 years since I read that book but that line stuck with me.

I see that trait in so many movie characters from Ben Hur to John Wick, Jack Reacher, the Accountant, Kora (Rebel Moon), etc.

Happy New Year everyone,

Ray

Reactions: Retired Spook
The Great Santini. The movie was okay. Loved the novel. I read it in Kingsville, TX when I was a basic jet flight instructor. There was a quote in the book that was not included on film. Santini's wife was explaining to their son why Santini's classmate became a general and Santini was still a Colonel. She explained, "The general has the quiet confidence of a man who believes in himself and doesn't need any structure to reinforce that belief." It's been more than 40 years since I read that book but that line stuck with me.

I see that trait in so many movie characters from Ben Hur to John Wick, Jack Reacher, the Accountant, Kora (Rebel Moon), etc.

Happy New Year everyone,

Ray
It was a very good movie - definitely time to see that one again! 🫡

EDIT: For a while in the late 80's I had a corner office on the 15th floor of Pauahi Tower in downtown Honolulu. My ears were tuned to the pitch of fighter jets and one day I heard em coming and raced to look out the window and what do I see - two Phantoms must have buzzed Hickam and two Eagles were in hot pursuit! The Eagles came up behind the Phantoms and they all turned south over the ocean and proceeded to give me a superb demonstration of flying skill - it was beautiful!

Another time I was on Sand Island launching a boat and, suddenly, it sounded like a rocket was blasting off! An F15 took off, and flew straight up with full after burners - I mean straight up, like a rocket. He reached altitude, pitch over on his back, rolled upright, cut the after burners, and flew off!

It was then that I knew I had effed my life up pretty bad, because that has to be the best job in the world!

-Out

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky