Favorite Movies Thread...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
About the time of the year when I burst out Young Frankenstein. Probably watch it a dozen times. Little trivia about it: the song Walk this Way by Aerosmith was inspired by the line in the movie...

Will have to check out some of the title here. I am still in shock how awesome it is now with all the streaming choices we have. Lots of good series to watch. Got hooked on Turn, Grimm, Stranger Things.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Might be a good lead in for Billy Jack .

Internet was down over the weekend . So while searching through DVD's for something to watch I found and old one . The Vikings . Kurt Douglas and Tony Curtis .
Ended up watching Book of Eli .
The Book of Eli is actually very good - lots of powerful philosophical messages wrapped up in a violent, dystopian action movie...

Reactions: zwiller and chopsaw
Love book of Eli . Great movie with a message . If you choose to see it .
Looking through my DVD's , I found a bunch I forgot I had . In 2007 when I was getting ready to have my right bicep reattached and the top of my shoulder removed , I went out and grabbed a bunch of movies to watch .
Another good one in the bunch is French Connection .

Reactions: Retired Spook
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but Rudy was also a great flick. Also the Wizard of Oz and Miracle on 34th street were on the yearly calendar in our house growing up. Actually they both still are.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
OK... So I watched Nobody (2021) Last night... That being said...

I'm really not a big fan of movies like that... It was ok...I just can't get into it when one man takes on a whole army of guys that has machine guns and comes out to tell about it... That's just me...

Was the same way with Yellowstone.. I liked the series a lot... I watched it twice... Just the scene in the middle of the intersection with the two tone blue van... Unloading clip after clip in a machine gun and never could hit him (Chase) as he was standing out in the wide open ...

OK... So I watched Nobody (2021) Last night... That being said...

I'm really not a big fan of movies like that... It was ok...I just can't get into it when one man takes on a whole army of guys that has machine guns and comes out to tell about it... That's just me...

Was the same way with Yellowstone.. I liked the series a lot... I watched it twice... Just the scene in the middle of the intersection with the two tone blue van... Unloading clip after clip in a machine gun and never could hit him (Chase) as he was standing out in the wide open ...
No offense but A., Yellowstone is not a movie and B., it is pure nonsensical trash - in my humble opinion...

The Book of Eli is actually very good - lots of powerful philosophical messages wrapped up in a violent, dystopian action movie...
+1 I am man enough to admit that I cried at the ending the first time I saw it.

Bet you guys liked Shawshank. Place it was shot is like 45m from me.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I loved Yellowstone's first season. By the second, I saw the repetitive plot points. By the third, pure repetition. Watched maybe one episode of season 4 and haven't watched it since.

So much of TV, and many movies, is formulaic. Any John Wick fan, which I am, can ID the EXACT same plot in Nobody. The instant they intro'd the bad guy, I said aloud, "Well, poo," or something similar. Different actors, same story.

A new TV show we watched this week is "The Irrational." Same formula as many other cop/detective shows like NCIS. My wife knows that the instant I pick up my phone and stop watching the show, or go into another room, I just I'D whodunit, and I'm rarely wrong.

Formula = predictive advertising dollars and inoffensive social media comments, whether good or bad. Turns out that's actually what the majority of people want to watch because familiar plots are escapist and unchallenging. Take Hallmark movies for example. Same actors and variations on a theme. Their formula is cast in epoxy. And yes, my wife and I watch Hallmark movies and make a game out of ID'ing the plot twists. We shout "too soon" when the first kiss is interrupted mid-movie, then "cue the snow" at the first kiss in their Christmas movies, which is usually the last scene.

Originality suffers for profits.

Rant over.

Ray

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Take Hallmark movies for example. Same actors and variations on a theme. Their formula is cast in epoxy. And yes, my wife and I watch Hallmark movies and make a game out of ID'ing the plot twists. We shout "too soon" when the first kiss is interrupted mid-movie, then "cue the snow" at the first kiss in their Christmas movies, which is usually the last scene.

Same here. If you were lucky enough to see them about 10 years ago they were GOOD. Shame they do not run those. I subscribed to the channel to watch only to find out they do not stream those either. We liked them so much I bought the DVD's and yes different plots in them. The Christmas Card is our fave of the bunch.

7f8be84d2be7071f4a6d725e7dbc04a41b9cb27cb92f9db206636aa1790e953e_1.webp

I don't re-watch a lot of movies, but I have seen Book of Eli several times, once recently.

Here's a recent one that I really liked. Dr. Sleep - sequel to both the movie (I did not care for Kubricks's adaptation) and the novel The Shining. Most Stephen King adaptations (not all - I'm looking at YOU - Maximum Overdrive, Silver Bullet and The Running Man - which is a great novel) are pretty good.

And I was talking movies with a guy here at work last night. Turns out we are both Godzilla fans.

Godzilla vs Kong from a year or 2 ago is really good if you like that kind of thing.

How about The Revenant - any opinions?

The scenery was phenomenal!

About the time of the year when I burst out Young Frankenstein. Probably watch it a dozen times. Little trivia about it: the song Walk this Way by Aerosmith was inspired by the line in the movie...

Will have to check out some of the title here. I am still in shock how awesome it is now with all the streaming choices we have. Lots of good series to watch. Got hooked on Turn, Grimm, Stranger Things.
Love the scene in Young Frankenstein with Peter Boyle in the old mans house.
Grimm is good, have seen them all.
Fringe with John Noble was another of my favorites.
Re-watched entire series 4 or 5 months ago.
There is one advantage to getting old, you can watch something, and then watch it again 6 months later, and it's like watching for first time. Haha

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky