Fathers Day Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrtgman

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Fort Mill, SC
Hey Ya'll. I am going to do a pork butt for fathers day. The plan is to start it tonite around midnight and go real slow. My temp to cook at is 210. Going for a 205 internal temp. I have done this before and it comes out incredible when I smoke it for around 18 hours. The butt is 7 lbs. This time I rubbed it down and injected it with a wet marinade. Something different. It is an Apple Rosemary marinade. Then I dry rubbed it with my own mixture of spices. I am going to use Jack Daniels oak barrel chips. Using a MES 30". Here we go!

acec99bc_butt2.jpg

The injection / marinade

5ce578ab_butt1.jpg

Wet marinade on the butt

a2af32b9_butt3.jpg

The dry rub on.

450ff20a_butt4.jpg

Smoker temp of 210???  Wow....that is low and slow....
biggrin.gif
  That marinade sounds good!  Keep the pics comin'!!

Rich
Those temps can get lower.  I've done one brisket at 190 for most of the cook with a stick burner.  I didn't really have a reason to run it that low intentionally; the fire was going nice and steady so I left it alone.

12:40 am. Just turned on the MES 30" to 210.  Should be up to temp in 30 minutes. Put in the butt then off to bed.

Well at 7pm it finally hit a perfect 205. I had to crank the smoker to 250 around 4pm as it was still at 180. This thing has been smoking for 18 hours. I actually put it on around 1am. It is unbelievably delicious! It is hard to believe that something this good could actually be legal! I love these Jack Daniel Oak Barrel Chips. Nice mellow flavor. Not too smoky like hickory or mesquite. Anyway here are the final pics.

1d1f1ff4_butt5.jpg

1db04ad0_butt6.jpg

77745410_butt7.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky