excessive white smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Bullhead City, AZ
Just wondering, I've only smoked about a dozen times now (all with MANY thanks too you guys) I have a question about all the white smoke & this thin blue smoke I keep reading about? All I have ever got is white smoke? Of course more when I first add the chunks, but I have never got this thin blue smoke? Is the white ok to smoke in? How do you get the thin blue?

White smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion of fuel source, thin blue smoke is obviously better. Try moving your choice of wood away from the actual heat source. When you load your charcoal basket, put the wood off to a side. Just being in the same Locale as the primary heat will cause it to smolder and smoke. You don't need to see smoke to know that it is smoking, Irishteabear taught me that one.

nutz, I don't really use a charcoal basket? I have a side box & put lump charcoal on top of the grate? I usally put the wood directly on top, but I think thats now out! Can I put the wood directly next to the lump, or how about under the grate? Wow & all this time i thought I was doing it right

As Nutzman said ^^^^.

And, if you really have problems slowing down the smoke from white to blue, try cutting down on the amount of air getting to the smoke wood by using a covered container of some sort. Foil pouches closed tightly work well for chips (keep them away from flames or the foil will burn up), a metal coffee/beans can with the top laid onto/into it will work well for chunks (clean-up well/burn out lining prior to using for smoke wood).

The white smoke will cause a stronger and more bitter taste, so we try to avoid it as much as possible. Iv'e never been able to stay away from it completely. As you said, when you add wood, you will get some white smoke, which should disappear after few minutes.

If you can smell the wood smoke (or get a sting in your eyes) coming out of the vent, you have it perfect...if you can see a bit of blue is also fine, too.

Good smokes to ya!

Eric

You can also burn your wood before you put it on, this will cut down on that initial billow of white smoke.
I burn all of my wood before I throw it on and it really cuts down on the white and quickly progresses into that thin blue.
If you have a chimney you can toss a few chunks in there when you are starting things up.

TasunkaWitko--Which of those smokers in the picture was yours? I bet I can guess!

tim - i got that pic from another member here qas an example of good vs bad smoke

but, i must admit, that there have been times when my own smoker has looked like BOTH of those!

No one should feel bad admiting this, either...we've all been there at some point in time...anyone who truthfully says they haven't, hasn't been smoking very long.

It's all in learning how your smoker likes to run. As adverse weather conditions or other contributing factors enter into a smoke, everyone will go through a learning curve with every smoker they have, and every type of food they smoke.

This is a bit off subject here, but came to mind, so I'll share it: every smoke I do, something subtle confronts me, and makes me realize that I'll never remember every little detail of all the quick fixes I've done in order to overcome the small problems that we will all eventually deal with during a smoke.

One thing that helps me alot, and probably other readers here on the forum, is to post my progress in qviews, instead of just waiting until I have all the pics, clear on through to the finish. This way, I can document most of those little things that may seem miniscule at the time, but may help others or myself to overcome similar problems later on. Also, the progressive qviews are much easier for me to post, as when I'm doing a burn, I have the time...when I'm not smoking meat, I'm wrapped up in something else.

These are just a few of many things that make smoking foods so interesting and fun for me...as well as hanging out here with all you great fellow smokers.

Eric

>>>One thing that helps me alot, and probably other readers here on the forum, is to post my progress in qviews, instead of just waiting until I have all the pics, clear on through to the finish. This way, I can document most of those little things that may seem miniscule at the time, but may help others or myself to overcome similar problems later on. Also, the progressive qviews are much easier for me to post, as when I'm doing a burn, I have the time...when I'm not smoking meat, I'm wrapped up in something else.<<<

same here -i find that the "blow-by-blow" threads tend to generate interest and also help with the learning process. it also provides a "diary" of a smoke for future reference.

good call, eric!

Tasunkawitko's Picture Should stand by itself as a Stickey.

It really does show exactly what smoke should and should not be.

Truly a great pic Tasunkawitko!
points.gif

tas, I started this thread a couple days ago & thought it would be lost by now. Your picture alone answered ALOT of questios for me. I think I have to stop putting the chuncks on top of the fire & place them to the side. I still wondering isf I should still soak them? Anyways thank you soooo much for that pic, now I'm SURE of what to look for. I can't believe I'm learning this months into my new addicition
icon_rolleyes.gif

It can only keep getting better

I never soak...well I used to before I knew better, just becasue the manual for my smokle said to do it...what do they know....

Anyway, soaking just delays the smoke...it has to steam out the water from the wood before anything nice will happen...then it might just come on like gangbusters.

I keep it as dry as possible.

Don't feel bad about just getting caught up on this issue, either. We've all been there, that's why we keep coming back to SMF...so we can learn good methods that will produce a great product.

Enjoy!

Eric

That picture is awsome..it has helped me see what I need to get my smoke to. I seem to smoke with primarily white smoke when smoking poultry though, because it's so difficult to get my smoker above 265 and almost impossible to get it to 300. But with a low and slow smoke it's much easier to get that blue smoke for me.

i'm glad everyone likes the pic, but i can't take credit for it - i saw it posted by another member and i saved it aa while ago. it's a good one and like i said it says more than a LOT of reading on the subject!

Thanks for the picture. I am a doing my very first smoke this weekend. I did a short seasoning smoke with new smoker and had it looking like the one on the right. From another thread in the roll call section I was under the impression smoke like the one on the right was still to much. Thanks for the info!

Greg

maineguy -

from my experience, if you can smell it, it's getting into your meat. i've had a lot of times when i didn't see any smoke at all, but i sure could smell it ~ this in my opinion is the ideal situation meaning that everything, airflow, temperatures condition of wood, heat etc. are exactly right.

but it is very, very hard to achieve this, so the picture on the right is the next best thing! ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky