Economics of casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slavikborisov

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
Curious if anyone has ever done an “analysis” on what the most cost effective casing is… anywhere from 32mm-100mm edible or nonedible ….. these would include fibrous, collagen, cellulose, plastic, natural etc… $/lb a casing can hold what is the cheapest vs. most expensive….. obviously the end goal of the end product will vary weather you want a snappy bite, smoke permeation, poaching vs smoker finishing.

Curious to hear people thoughts. I’ve currently used all above mentioned casings in the above mentioned diameter range and would like other experienced guys input…. What’s the best bang for you buck vs what the most expensive and why ?

Nothing wrong with collagen.
If you have good protein extraction you have good sticks and SS.

i prefer natural casings for anything that has the casing left on for eating, except snack sticks-collagen, other wise ring bologna and summer sausage get whatever I pick up on amazon or the local butcher shop uses. I know the snap I get from good natural sheep and hog isnt worth the cost savings IMO from collagen. especially on breakfast links and brats, just has to have the thin snap or its not worth the effort.

Curious if anyone has ever done an “analysis” on what the most cost effective casing is…
I remembered this from awhile ago . Not sure what's in there . Didn't read through it all .

I pretty much go for what gives me a good end product , and something that works with ease . Price is 2nd on the list for me .
I was using Sausage makers for natural casings . The last 2 orders from them I feel the quality was gone . Thick , tough and a lot of tags . Stored wet for 8 months and I still throw some out when I use them .
Switched to Syracuse casings . I'm not a fan of pre tubed , but they look like quality casings . Price was cheaper than sausage maker . Not knocking TSM . I buy my share from them . Just something changed with the hog casings .

I tend to keep different types on hand . I buy usually when I'm getting something else .
I have some high barrier water proof that come in handy for doing SV start to finish .
Cellulose makes a good skinless hotdog .

I'm hooked on the cloth bags for SS and Bologna . I get those from a place in Nashville .
Good price , but I'm not sure what any of them cost .

Curious if anyone has ever done an “analysis” on what the most cost effective casing is… anywhere from 32mm-100mm edible or nonedible ….. these would include fibrous, collagen, cellulose, plastic, natural etc… $/lb a casing can hold what is the cheapest vs. most expensive….. obviously the end goal of the end product will vary weather you want a snappy bite, smoke permeation, poaching vs smoker finishing.

Curious to hear people thoughts. I’ve currently used all above mentioned casings in the above mentioned diameter range and would like other experienced guys input…. What’s the best bang for you buck vs what the most expensive and why ?
I'd be interested in this also.

Rich- give Quality Casing Company a try. They are in Kentucky. Great casings for a great price. I buy them local from a butcher supply house...

https://www.qualitycasing.com/
That is awesome. I'll check them out als
Well thanks for letting me know about that. I assumed they sold to the public but that may not be the case (no pun intended).
In the Franklin BBQ book, it talks about his reticence of venturing into sausage at his restaurants, because at the time of writing the book there weren't a lot of US companies making sausage casings, and he couldn't guarantee "organic", "gmo free", and " no antibiotics". I'm curious if this company is the solution?

I'm not sure . Just didn't see a place to buy anything on the website .
Have you bought from them ?
Same as what I saw, Rich. I may call them when I need more to ask if I can get them directly. They aren't that far from me.

Reactions: chopsaw
Curious if anyone has ever done an “analysis” on what the most cost effective casing is…

I go with the "first you eat with your eyes" theory and go for the most attractive casings rather than the most economical.

Attachments

• chops.jpg
    chops.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Yes, I have bought them, but not directly from the company. I have a Butcher supply store 15 miles away that I buy my hog casings from. I buy local and the prices are very reasonable.
They appear to be a wholesaler only, and don't do retail sales.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky