Doing this backwards in WA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

antirice

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Hi all -

I'm from the southeast corner of WA State. I started at age 18 with a gas grill and it didn't take long to realize that I wanted something else. My dad used an offset and a charcoal grill alongside a pellet and a BGE and, after observing some of his cooks, I decided pellet grills fit my laziness. So I got one. Then two.

I've since adopted a couple Weber kettles and have had a fun time experimenting with them. I also now own an offset and am looking forward to playing with it more. My dad laughed and said that I should've started with offset - he said I was "going about things backwards." He wasn't being critical - he was just observing that most folks start with sticks and rocks and then move to computer controlled stuff and I was moving away from the tech at about the same time the bbq scene really took off towards it. Oh well. Better late than never, right?

Anywho, I landed here while looking for info on building my own offset. After doing some research on the one I have now (and figuring out what makes a good smoker good), I realized it's build quality left something to be desired. I do custom metal work for a living and have access to a pretty wide array of tools, so I figured why not build my own and then get exactly what I want without compromise. I figure I'll probably save a few bucks along the way too.

Glad to be here. Don't worry, I'll be sure to use the search bar before asking a bunch of noob questions.

- Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome to the madness that is BBQ, sausage making, preserving stuff, cheese, home-brew and wine making etc.

When you're ready to ask questions you'll find a lot of helpful folks on whichever build forum best fits you plans.

I spent a lot of time around Yakima (at Yakima Firing Center) back in the mid 70s when I was stationed at Fort Lewis.and a bit of time in Walla Walla for the Frontier Days Rodeo and I loved all of Washington Sate. If WA was closer to all my family (in Ohio and Upstate New York) I'd have settled somewhere there when I came back from West Berlin in 1980......

Welcome to the site, and don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Chris

Welcome Chris!!
Sure, the Search Bar is Handy, but most of us are here to help, also!!

Can't wait to see your build, and the food it produces!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky