Do you wash your butt? and other meats?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do you wash you meat before smoking it?

• No

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Yes, all meats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just poultry

• Poultry and all cryovaced meats

• Poultry and beef

• Poultry and pork

• Poultry and goat/lamb and wild game

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
90% of the time I wash all meats, especially poultry and anything that was thawing and has a bunch of thaw juice. There are times when a paper towel is all I need to use, this is only when I know I will be cooking that item hot like over 300º for 5+ minutes.

Damn Skippy, I wash my butt.

I did a cookout at work last week at was telling some of the folks there that I think they should was their butts too. I wash just about everything except beef steaks.

A big thing about washing your meat is to conduct a clean up of the area where the meat was washed to prevent cross contamination of cooking items. Bacteria in raw meat and poultry juices can be spread to other foods, utensils and surfaces.

I wash my fatty after every time I use it, but that's off topic.

The term "washing" the meat reminds me of the Three Stooges washing a chicken with soap. I prefer to rinse.

Whatever meat you do choose to rinse, pat it dry with a paper towel after rinsing. If you need moisture to make your rub stick, coat the meat with EVOO, or mustard, or whatever you like. The rub will stick much better.

I wash the birds only to be sure there's no poop left on them from processing. I don't generally rinse anything else unless I see bone bits which is rare.

And I suppose I do rinse fish too now that I think of it...

I read about doing this in few places, rinses off some of the funk cryo-vac pork sometimes has. I either pour a little whie vinegar, or cider vinegar over them, and rub it in, then pat dry with a towel.

i always rinse everything i cook in a water and and a couple cut up lemons. it works especially well with cryovaced packaged meat. also makes membranes come off spares a lot easier. and also gets rid of that funky smell you sometimes get from packaged meat.

I rinse everything I cook before I cook it , then smell it . You and me have no clue what has been on anything we buy or where it has really been unless we have killed it ourselves .

I always rinse anything in cryovac. Sometimes if it feels a little slippery I use some lemon or other acid in the rinse

My Mom always washed off meats and poultry in a bit of vinegar and water. So I do too. You should always do what your mother says.

As for washing dishes My hot water is set at 150f and I do the dishes, cutting boards, knives etc in the dishwasher. Any germs are cooked for about an hour or so.

I wash down the counter-top with a bleach solution especially after cooking poultry.

On camping trips if I cook a critter or a fish I hold it over the open flame on a stick or on a spit which I am confident kills all the nastys.

Per USDA guidelines you aren't supposed to wash the meat.....but I do anyways

It depends....most of the cryo-vac stuff gets rinsed. Most other stuff....sometimes.

A funny story though.....I know a lady that washes her boneless chicken breasts in the sink...with soap!

I rinse my poultry then pat it dry. For everything else, I just pat them dry. Haven't had any issues, and until then, I won't change a thing.

On a side note, I always wash my hands, cutting boards, utensils, etc. though to prevent cross contamination.

I wash all my meats.....all but fresh sausage and hambuger...cryovac and pork and chicken...all get a wash.Steaks pat blood off and cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky