Do you run your offset stickburner in the rain ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I bought an Old Country Brazos in June 5 years ago. My second cook was about this time of the month when we get pop-up summer storms. I had a beef rib cook going and a storm developed right on top of me. I took my cook chamber temp down to 160* and was there for some time, until the storm cleared. I had heavy rain and wind.

Since then, I'm hesitant to run my stickburner if there's a chance of rain. Our weather for about the past month has included a chance of rain almost every day. Its really risky to thaw out any meats in anticipation of cooking.

Besides spoiling a long cook, there's the issue of rust to the smoker. I wipe down my Franklin offset with beef tallow after about every other cook. But I'm still cautious about getting it wet.

Here's my Brazos cook from 5 years ago .... it was a mess and I had the Brazos under the edge of the covered patio. The stack is too tall on the Franklin to do that today.

Brazos Rain Cook.jpg

I run my offset in the rain, but I have a controller to help maintain temperature.

Seems like a tarp might help.

Reactions: PPG1
I run mine in the rain, That being said if I can avoid it I do. I have a 10 x 10 canopy that I put OC Pecos under.
Like you say it is a little harder to keep temps up but I don't have water running over it with the canopy.
RainyDay.jpg

I bought an Old Country Brazos in June 5 years ago. My second cook was about this time of the month when we get pop-up summer storms. I had a beef rib cook going and a storm developed right on top of me. I took my cook chamber temp down to 160* and was there for some time, until the storm cleared. I had heavy rain and wind.

Since then, I'm hesitant to run my stickburner if there's a chance of rain. Our weather for about the past month has included a chance of rain almost every day. Its really risky to thaw out any meats in anticipation of cooking.

Besides spoiling a long cook, there's the issue of rust to the smoker. I wipe down my Franklin offset with beef tallow after about every other cook. But I'm still cautious about getting it wet.

Here's my Brazos cook from 5 years ago .... it was a mess and I had the Brazos under the edge of the covered patio. The stack is too tall on the Franklin to do that today.

View attachment 668039
That's hardcore.

That's quite a reverse flow rig, right there, now.

And amazingly, I don't have any pics of the Franklin that are easy to find. I really haven't taken many pics.

Can’t control the weather so yes I cooked in the rain. Simulator to newglide I use a 10 x 10 canopy for my comfort as well for the smoker. Mine has an insulated firebox so I really don’t see much change in the cook process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky