digital thermometers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin bobbyq

Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Folks what's the deal in these digital meat thermometers? Are they accurate? Will the probes last? What's the best? Thank ya'll!!'

If you're asking about the kind you poke in and extract and read, the top of the line is the Thermopen. They also make some that have probes that stay in the meat and the smoker. All of the ThermoWorks product prices reflect their quality; so you have to willing to part with the brass.

For (relatively) inexpensive probe in the smoker digitals, look at the Maverick ET-732 and ET-73. I've used the ET-73 in the kitchen oven and in my smokers for years (but not every week).

For an inexpensive poke and remove, look at the CDN. I've got one of those, too, and it works great.

Just my 2¢ worth. I'm sure others will chime in with better info than mine.

I've had an ET-73 for over a year and use it almost every weekend and the only thing I've had to replace was the batteries. I won't smoke without it. I just wish I had bought the ET-732 because the range is a lot longer. I also have a couple of CDN instant reads, they aren't as fast as the Thermopen but they are accurate.

Never got around to buying it?  But ThermoPen makes a low cost instant read.  Check Post #8 in this thread:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110845/best-economy-instant-read-meat-thermometer

My Taylor stick has performed well if you can handle a 10 to 12 second read time?  About $15 when I bought it. Available locally for most folks.

My Maverick ET-732 has worked quite well with only one probe needing replacement.  For the ET-732, check here for the best customer service on the planet:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky