Danish Cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbrinton2373

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Ogden
I am not sure where would have been the best place to post this and i am not sure how many people on here are of Danish Ancestry but I dug up an old recipe of my grandmothers that she would make for us every time we came to visit, and thought it would be a nice treat for my kids and my wife so I made them for breakfast today.

This was also my first attempt at cooking these and I haven't had them in probably over 20 years.  This does go back in my family for several generations as one of the pans I have for cooking these is my fathers grandmas or great grandmas.  

For a first go I would say they were a great success and my kids loved them :)

Danish Æbleskiver

91119b76_IMG_3117.jpg

4e9c1c7d_IMG_3118.jpg

That's funny I just made aebleskiver for breakfast this morning too for my daughter's first birthday!  She must be mine cause she ate her share and then some!  I almost took some pics and posted them as well but it was a little hectic with it being her B-Day and all.  Africanmeat just had a post on here recently of aebleskiver made in a way I've never seen before.  Very unique and very tasty looking, you should check it out.  Good job but I can't view your photos for some reason.

Danish Æbleskiver

per Beverly Brinton

Ingredients

5 eggs

1 to 1 1/2 cups milk

3 tsp baking powder

2 cups flour

3 Tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

3Tbsp shortening (melted)

Directions

1. Separate eggs

2.  Mix egg yolks with milk

3. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together then add flour mixture to milk mixture and mix

4. Add shortening

5. Beat egg whites until stiff then fold into the mixture

6. Cook on medium heat

Also not sure how many people do this but my grandmother did a mixture and cooked some plain and some with fillings.  such as rasberry jams,  just a drop to give a little extra kick and gooieness.  So I did the same this morning.  Did plain, strawberry, and black raspberries.  Very yummy

Thanks for sharing that Ryan.  This is my Grandfather's recipe that I learned from him:

1 3/4 C buttermilk

2 C flour or Bisquick

2 tsp baking powder

2 T. sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 C melted margarine

1 tsp baking soda

3 eggs separated

In buttermilk, mix flour, soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  Add beaten egg yolks and melted margarine.  Lastly, fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.

We usually use 1/2 buttermilk and 1/2 milk.

We have done filled ones at times, they are very good.  We always had them on Christmas Eve and traditionally Grandpa would put an almond in one and whoever ended up with that one won a special present.  It was a fun tradition.  My favorite way to eat them is with Grandma's chokecherry syrup, yumm.  Thanks again for sharing.

I grew up with Aebelskiver. frekadella and other Danish goodies I can't even spell. I find it amazing how many folks here know of Aebelskiver. No one around here has even heard if it and if they see my pan there like WTF? I had a great aunt that came over from Denmark along with her brothers during WWII. Sooooo many memories!!!!!

We have done filled ones at times, they are very good.  We always had them on Christmas Eve and traditionally Grandpa would put an almond in one and whoever ended up with that one won a special present.  It was a fun tradition.  My favorite way to eat them is with Grandma's chokecherry syrup, yumm.  Thanks again for sharing.
that sounds like a fun tradition.  Might have to start something like that.  Maybe not Christmas as we have a lot of traditions already for that but maybe Easter or some other holiday.  I believe the recipe may have originally called for buttermilk in mine as well but probably due to availability my grandma took it out, and I am not a big fan of buttermilk anyway so I figured I would just leave it regular milk.  It is pretty cool to see others that know what they are.  I actually got a little mad a while back when I saw an infomercial selling some cheesy knockoff pan and a mix kit.  I wasn't upset that they were commercializing it but they calling them like bite size pancakes or some other nonsense.  Anyway thanks for reading and all your input.

that sounds like a fun tradition.  Might have to start something like that.  Maybe not Christmas as we have a lot of traditions already for that but maybe Easter or some other holiday.  I believe the recipe may have originally called for buttermilk in mine as well but probably due to availability my grandma took it out, and I am not a big fan of buttermilk anyway so I figured I would just leave it regular milk.  It is pretty cool to see others that know what they are.  I actually got a little mad a while back when I saw an infomercial selling some cheesy knockoff pan and a mix kit.  I wasn't upset that they were commercializing it but they calling them like bite size pancakes or some other nonsense.  Anyway thanks for reading and all your input.
I have seen those as well.  It's sad how much stuff gets lost over time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky