Cooking grates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

irvin78787884

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 17, 2023
Unionville PA
When I go to build my cooking grates for in my CC. What size angle does everyone use or suggest. 1x1x1/8 or 2x2x1/8 I think the also have 2x2x1/4. I seen some use square also but the place I have been getting my metal that’s local doesn’t stock square tube.
Tom.

Reactions: JLeonard
How wide of a space will you be spanning? How deep are you going? Will you make a square/rectangle frame, or will you have supports in the center? What size expanded metal, or mesh, are you using?

Let us know and we can go from there

For the rails, I used 1x1x1/8... you say square can't be had (I used 3/4 square)... I'm thinking I would go with the 1x1x1/8 for the grate then... A center support if needed ... 2x2 souinds to big for me ...

But as the Ol Buzzard said... dimensions would help...

The biggest grate will be approximately 60” L x 32” W I would more than likely need a center support or two or three is what I was figuring. I would have to find out the expanded metal size as idk that.

How wide of a space will you be spanning? How deep are you going? Will you make a square/rectangle frame, or will you have supports in the center? What size expanded metal, or mesh, are you using?

Let us know and we can go from there
Be rectangle sorry dimensions above forgot the reply button lol

For the rails, I used 1x1x1/8... you say square can't be had (I used 3/4 square)... I'm thinking I would go with the 1x1x1/8 for the grate then... A center support if needed ... 2x2 souinds to big for me ...

But as the Ol Buzzard said... dimensions would help...
Dimensions above forgot to use the reply button lol

The biggest grate will be approximately 60” L x 32” W I would more than likely need a center support or two or three is what I was figuring. I would have to find out the expanded metal size as idk that.

I think Keith JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 has you covered. If you can't get sq tubing, then I'd suggest the same - 1x1x1/8 angle iron. 60 inches - that's a pretty long span. I've seen builders with cook chambers that long break the cooking racks in half to cut down on the possibility of sagging in the middle. But since you've already cut your door opening, that probably isn't an option here...so at least 2 cross braces would be in order, and I might even consider 3.

Red

I think Keith JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 has you covered. If you can't get sq tubing, then I'd suggest the same - 1x1x1/8 angle iron. 60 inches - that's a pretty long span. I've seen builders with cook chambers that long break the cooking racks in half to cut down on the possibility of sagging in the middle. But since you've already cut your door opening, that probably isn't an option here...so at least 2 cross braces would be in order, and I might even consider 3.

Red
The sagging is certainly a concern. I probably should have considered making 2 doors and smaller cooking racks. First build over sights I guess lol. I could also add a support in the middle of the bottom rack under it attached to the CC. The top rack I wouldn’t be able to do that. I might add extra braces in the racks just incase. Certainly will be 2 at the minimum. I ended up getting the 1x1x1/8 angle. I will pick that up next Friday. Thanks also for the help.

Reactions: seenred
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky